Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We are all winners here

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
No, not the Eurodraw....

.... but we were all the fastest tadpole to the egg.

But I do wonder if it really was a race. Wouldn't every sperm been exactly the same i.e. clones in terms of character and abilities? :moo:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Wouldn't every sperm been exactly the same i.e. clones in terms of character and abilities? :moo:

No. Every cell in your body has a pair of each of 23 chromosomes, one from your mother, and one from your father. Every cell, that is, other than sperm cells. Sperm cells carry only one copy of each chromosome, but it is random whether it is a copy of the chromosome from your mother or from your father. For each chromosome in a sperm cell, it could be from your mother or father.

Then, chromosome 23 determines gender - roughly half of your sperm will carry an X (leading to a girl being conceived) and half a Y, leading to a boy.

Then there are mutations. Every sperm has different mutations from the next sperm.

In short, sperm cells are way, way off being clones.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
No. Every cell in your body has a pair of each of 23 chromosomes, one from your mother, and one from your father. Every cell, that is, other than sperm cells. Sperm cells carry only one copy of each chromosome, but it is random whether it is a copy of the chromosome from your mother or from your father. For each chromosome in a sperm cell, it could be from your mother or father.

Then, chromosome 23 determines gender - roughly half of your sperm will carry an X (leading to a girl being conceived) and half a Y, leading to a boy.

Then there are mutations. Every sperm has different mutations from the next sperm.

In short, sperm cells are way, way off being clones.

I may have misread this (it's early), but surely sperm only contains chromosomes from your father.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I may have misread this (it's early), but surely sperm only contains chromosomes from your father.

Nope; you read it right. Each sperm has 23 chromosomes (as opposed to the 23 pairs of chromosomes contains in non sperm cells). These chromosomes are imaginatively numbered 1 through 23. In any particular sperm cell, chromosome 1 could have come from either your mother or your father. The sperm sitting right next door could have the opposite one.

If you think about it, it has to be this way, otherwise under your premise, no child of yours (or any child of theirs, ever) could have inherited any features or diseases from your mother, since none of her chromosomes would be in your sperm...

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
It's pretty amazing though that out of millions of sperm that we got there first. Even Nigel Farage, Hitler and Jimmy Savile.

With that in mind, it's a pity that we don't value life as much on earth as perhaps as we should, before returning to the ground as dust.

Random%u0025252520Funny%252520Photos%252520Part%252520245_14.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here