Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are the actual FACTS in the British v Foreign Champ manager debate?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it actually one of those impossible stats, like 'England's first defeat at Wembley was v Hungary in the 50's'.
The fact that they'd only played a handful of games at Wembley prior to that match, has been lost in time.

On the Worthing Herald thread, I asked this earlier:-
Just out of interest, how many foreign managers have managed for 1+ full seasons, at the same club, in this division, in say the last 10 years?
And obviously how many British managers does the same apply too?

Zola
Poyet
Garcia...

GB & El Pres have also touched on the question.
Yet the teams who got promoted in those last three seasons all had English managers....
So did the teams relegated....

Are some craving success from a British manager because actually that's all there's been.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Seeing Fulham head toward the Premier league made me look into something that I've been thinking of for a while. Toward the end of Poyet's reign, and in the wake of his departure, there were lots of comments on here about how so few foreign managers have ever got promoted to the Championship. (This was the first thread I could find to bump with the subject)

Since Poyet's departure:

2013/14
Leicester - Pearson
Burnley - Dyche
QPR - Redknapp

2014/15
Bournemouth - Howe
Watford - McKinley/Jokanovic
Norwich - Adams/Neil

2015/16
Burnley - Dyche
Middlesbrough - Karanka
Hull - Bruce

2016/17
Newcastle - Benitez
Brighton - Hughton
Hudderfield - Wagner

2017/18
Wolves - Santo
Cardiff - Warnock
Fulham - Jokanovic

6 out of 15 promotions have been (at least partially) under non-UK managers.

Is it another example of how the footballing gods aren't in our corner? All the while we have a foreign manager they are cursed. The moment we get rid of them, foreign managers start winning an average of more than one promotion a season (6/15 promotions if we include the five seasons since poyet, 6/12 if we go from the last foreign manager to have the full season with us, 5/9 if we go for first season with no foreign management).

Or is it a sign of something bigger in football? A premier league-isation of the championship in the sense of Foreign = better leading to more foreign managers in the championship, thus the increased chances of them winning promotion (coming back to Stat's point in the OP about the argument of foreing v british manager promotion success).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Hughton isn’t British, he is Irish (at a minimum in football terms)

Born in London with a London accent. I think we'll classify him as 'home grown'.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hughton isn’t British, he is Irish (at a minimum in football terms)

Sadly, that won’t protect him from the speculation about to come his way when Southgate resigns in a few weeks. However, I’m hopeful that the FA will go for the Rusty Dalek or Smug Eddie instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here