Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Had you forgort what it was like being s**t?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Personally after 4 pretty successful seasons, I had forgotten what it was like to be shit again.

Not being able to sign the players we want.

Not knowing when we will get our next win, hoping we get 3 points off teams such as Rotherham and Bournemouth.

No atmosphere around the ground.

It feels much more like being a Brighton fan and its what makes the good times so great, because there are plenty of low points as well.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Yeah I had forgotten what it feels to be a soft touch and not have the bursting pride of who we are. Cant complain the last few years but I had forgotten.

Spoilt probably

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
No.
Last season was hardly great. 38 games with 1 or nil. Ok we finished in play offs but it felt like by default

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I makes you appreciate the feeling you get once every decade or so when you witness an event like the 93rd minute at Forest six months ago

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I makes you appreciate the feeling you get once every decade or so when you witness an event like the 93rd minute at Forest six months ago

Followed almost immediately by 180 minutes of 'what was that all about?' :lol:

Also, I think our present predicament is 'worsened' by how well Southampton have done seeing as we both came up from League One together and us as Champions. They have continued solid progression, whereas we seem to be in a 'hiccup' situation.

Last edited:

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I don't think I'd forgotten, just more that the past had been pushed to the back of my mind over the last few years. The problem with the way I feel now, is that we've caught a glimpse of the family silver, and now it's been hidden away again.

At least then you knew what to expect, and you managed your expectations accordingly

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Being in the Championship will never be like being s**t, try being a Hartlepool supporter or when we had 91 teams above us.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Also, I think our present predicament is 'worsened' by how well Southampton have done seeing as we both came up from League One together and us as Champions. They have continued solid progression, whereas we seem to be in a 'hiccup' situation.

Not an entirely fair comparison because they had an established top-class academy to supplement their fabulously weathy owner.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
most people have had a memory lapse or just were not there
well at least I have the memories of the original Mullers years some of the poor sods don't even have that
they were good
this is the first bad season(up to now) for a long while

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Southampton were years ahead of us in terms of infrastructure when we beat them to the Lg 1 title. It's no surprise that they've kicked on so well with the investment that they put into their academy. Hopefully, the Albion's new academy will be producing first teamers in 2-3 years.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think the fact is we've probably never spent so much money as fans and as a club to be so poor.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
We are not S**t, far from it. Millions of miles from it. Some of the football we played against Cardiff was fantastic, we literally tore them apart in 4 passes at one point. Its been some of the best football i can remember. Just because we haven't won many games doesn't mean we are s**t.
I'd rather watch the football this season than last and a good deal of GP. I remember Bristol C away when CMS got injured, was terrible, dire etc. same as some games last year.
We are a work in progress and are a team who have had major surgery in the summer, it will take time but we will come good and i have no doubt we will be top 10 at the end of the season.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Not an entirely fair comparison because they had an established top-class academy to supplement their fabulously weathy owner.

Southampton were years ahead of us in terms of infrastructure when we beat them to the Lg 1 title. It's no surprise that they've kicked on so well with the investment that they put into their academy. Hopefully, the Albion's new academy will be producing first teamers in 2-3 years.

Fingers crossed our academy can be as productive!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We are not S**t, far from it. Millions of miles from it. Some of the football we played against Cardiff was fantastic, we literally tore them apart in 4 passes at one point. Its been some of the best football i can remember. Just because we haven't won many games doesn't mean we are s**t.
I'd rather watch the football this season than last and a good deal of GP. I remember Bristol C away when CMS got injured, was terrible, dire etc. same as some games last year.
We are a work in progress and are a team who have had major surgery in the summer, it will take time but we will come good and i have no doubt we will be top 10 at the end of the season.

Glad to see there are two of us with similar positive views on here still

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
We're not shit, we're just different.

el punal

I think you're wrong in using the term "worsened". Firstly, we have predominantly been a League 1/ League 2 club for 20 years until 2011. So the transition into the Championship was always going to be new territory. The fact that we have reached the play-offs in two of the three seasons of this division shows our ambition despite the recent poor results.

Secondly, Southampton, in comparison, have been a Premier league side for pretty much most of the corresponding time. Even when they went into administration they lucked out by having a multi-millionaire, Marcus Liebherr, take over the club and pay off their debts. Their infrastructure, despite their relegation to League 1, was always Premier league with a newish stadium and top training/academy facilities.

Thirdly, and this unfortunately can be levelled at a lot of Albion fans, is that we have been spoilt with the success we have achieved in a very short space of time. Some of us need to look back and be reminded where we were and how far we've come. In other words - be realistic. We will achieve Premier league football, but like building Rome, it won't be done in a day.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Personally after 4 pretty successful seasons, I had forgotten what it was like to be shit again.

Not being able to sign the players we want.

Not knowing when we will get our next win, hoping we get 3 points off teams such as Rotherham and Bournemouth.

No atmosphere around the ground.

It feels much more like being a Brighton fan and its what makes the good times so great, because there are plenty of low points as well.

I'm not having a go at you, But i am getting fed up with posts that go on about the Amex Atmosphere!.
Lets think about this properly. The core of Genuine football fans at the Amex is about the size of the crowds we got at the Withdean.
Most of what makes up the rest are, The newer generation who never attended the goldstone and/or withdean Years,
and have decided to try watching football because of the excellent new stadium.

And Lets not forget the huge corporate segments, who also contain clients who don't even like football, but are there for the experience.
I know this for a fact.

You won't get the atmosphere of White heart Lane overnight for example, who have around 36,000 each week, but are so loud and songful that it can sometimes make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

This is a totally different Football Club now, It will take time for the passion to arise from the other 15,000+ fans to get into it!..
That's if we sort out the mess that's going on right now!.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here