Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MOBO Awards

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
My God, just embarrassing.
Got my niece staying so sat here watching it on Sky+. I know I'm old, but what's happening with music these days?
Anyone else see it?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
From my limited viewing on MTV and VH1 I concluded that the majority of the performers had to meet certain criteria.

Male stars have to be black, fat and wear shell suits and lots of gold

Female Singers have to be Attractive, Slim, dance like lap dancers and wear very little clothing.

Or have I got it wrong?

Additionally I do agree that it's racist.

There would never be a white music awards :(

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Why does the origin of the music make any difference? Can't an emerging artist win an award based on their music alone? And if anyone regardless of race can win one, why bother with the name MOBO?

I'm sure I'm probably being staggeringly un-PC here but I truly don't see the point of the Mobo's, just seems to flag up race for no apparent reason. If you make good music I don't care if you're white, black, gay, Jewish, Muslim, Jehovah or Ginger. I honestly couldn't care less about your background. It's about talent and talent only. So why the name?

I get why there's a Black Police Association, people from all races/backgrounds should actively be encouraged to join a Police force that is representative of its community. Music though has had successful black artists for decades. Duke Ellington, Ray Charles, Louie Armstrong, Aretha Franklin, Jimi Hendrix etc

Can someone explain/ put me in my place as I appear to have completely missed the point! There must be a good reason for the award being called the MOBO's?!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Why does the origin of the music make any difference? Can't an emerging artist win an award based on their music alone? And if anyone regardless of race can win one, why bother with the name MOBO?

I'm sure I'm probably being staggeringly un-PC here but I truly don't see the point of the Mobo's, just seems to flag up race for no apparent reason. If you make good music I don't care if you're white, black, gay, Jewish, Muslim, Jehovah or Ginger. I honestly couldn't care less about your background. It's about talent and talent only. So why the name?

I get why there's a Black Police Association, people from all races/backgrounds should actively be encouraged to join a Police force that is representative of its community. Music though has had successful black artists for decades. Duke Ellington, Ray Charles, Louie Armstrong, Aretha Franklin, Jimi Hendrix etc

Can someone explain/ put me in my place as I appear to have completely missed the point! There must be a good reason for the award being called the MOBO's?!

I suspect that it was originally called that because even though there have always been successful black musicians, there was historically deep racism towards them. e.g. "In August 1948, Nat King Cole purchased a house from Col. Harry Gantz, the former husband of Lois Weber, in the all-white Hancock Park neighborhood of Los Angeles. The Ku Klux Klan, still active in Los Angeles well into the 1950s, responded by placing a burning cross on his front lawn." Presumably, the name was designed to remind people of what good music was made by black people. It's relevance now? Harder to justify probably, but names have a habit of sticking...

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

Agree entirely but cmon ginger !! noway lol

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Agree entirely but cmon ginger !! noway lol

It's funny you should mention ginger because Ed Sheeran was voted very recently the most influential artist in black and urban music in the UK by some panel on Radio 1 Extra.

2ag2cle.jpg

I'm not sure if that's an all-out piss-take, a lack of self-awareness or indicative of a truly diverse musical culture.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
It's funny you should mention ginger because Ed Sheeran was voted very recently the most influential artist in black and urban music in the UK by some panel on Radio 1 Extra.

2ag2cle.jpg

I'm not sure if that's an all-out piss-take, a lack of self-awareness or indicative of a truly diverse musical culture.
Before the success of his first full album he did an EP called collaboration. It featured reworkings of some of his songs with the additions of other UK urban artists like Devlin and Wretch 32. This helped raise the profile of both Sheeran and the featured artists.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Not at all. Music of Black Origin, that's all.
My point was that it's just dross.
Like an X Factor spin off.

Without someone akin to Cheryl Cole ragging on performers for no reason!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Urban music was (and still is) under represented in mainstream/traditional awards - BRITs, Q, NME etc.

MOBO is just a catch-all phrase to represent hip-hop, R&B, reggae etc.

It's not about the colour of the artist.

There's no Music of Ginger Origin awards because red-heads have yet to create their own musical sub-genre...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here