Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where would we be without bloom?

cobbyseagull

Jul 31, 2008
In retaliation to bloom escaping criticism thread...where would we be without bloom.......league one/two? People need to realise extent bloom has saved the club not criticise him. The man is a legend and club saver in reality.

cobbyseagull

Jul 31, 2008
If you don't respect bloom for what he has done for brighton and hove albion then frankly you have no understanding of the situation we were in. Tell most of us 3/4 years ago we would be in the play offs 2 years consecutive you would of been laughed out the place....we are struggling this season but accept what bloom has done and be grateful for it.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
We would be at the Amex - more similar to its original design with a less than 23k capacity - and massively in ACTUAL debt which would be a burden for decades. DK probably would have sold most of the club off to random investors to pay it.

No bank would have lent us the money to build it and I can't see random investors putting over £100m into a League 1 team.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
We would be at the Amex - more similar to its original design with a less than 23k capacity - and massively in ACTUAL debt which would be a burden for decades. DK probably would have sold most of the club off to random investors to pay it.

No you wouldn't, at least not on the actual timescale. Remember that Bloom stepped in because no-one was going to lend the money. There were some grants, a bit of cash from a benevolent multi national financial services company and little else. He stumped up the rather large shortfall.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Or more probable, we would be at Withdean - in League 1 or 2, with 5000 crowds (remember when sometimes there were less than 2000?). For some on here a dream situation.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Impossible to say would a rich Russian.American or Arab seen the potential of a club granted permission for a new ground and with no other club within 40 miles, discounting France, and have bought into it nobody can say one way or the other. I would have thought so but cant be certain.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
We would be at The Withdean. I would not have a season ticket but would be going to away matches instead. Swings and roundabouts

Likewise

League 2 probably, as our home crowds would have dropped to between 4 and 5 k

Occasional flirt with League 1 (and possibly the Conference)

SAC

May 21, 2014
Assuming without a different rich benefactor. Probably in League one but possibly in the Championship. At Withdean getting cold and wet with 5-7000 others and around £100 better off each season.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Or more probable, we would be at Withdean - in League 1 or 2, with 5000 crowds (remember when sometimes there were less than 2000?). For some on here a dream situation.

Agreed, there are some on here who prefer the old days when it was their club that they had saved and seem to resent the progress made post TB. Each to their own though.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Assuming DK had continued to chair the board, then (while still maintaining my opinion of him as a saviour), I think we'd be in and out of administration at best or possibly even cease to exist in any real form.

DK, although he did a fantastic job to get us to where we were did not have the resources or access to the resources to continue to take us on the road to the Amex. (IMO) He had pretty much exhausted his "friends and family" list of backers and was starting to run out of options.

So we'd either be...
1. saddled trying to service a £50m debt (borrowed at "high risk" rates) and have a vastly inferior stadium to the current Amex and have no cash left from the 15k gate receipts to run the club or;
2. we'd have stayed at Withdean and scaffolding stands and had no decent gate receipts.

Either way, our days as a viable club (never mind a championship club) would be severely limited and attractiveness to a "foreign" (by which I mean non-Brighton supporting more than overseas) sugar daddy would been extremely low.

Whatever else you think about TB and his inner cabal of staff since he took over, the act of taking over, singularly saved the club.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Agreed, there are some on here who prefer the old days when it was their club that they had saved and seem to resent the progress made post TB. Each to their own though.

I'm not sure how many "resent" TB's presence, though no doubt a handful do; however, there are a much larger group who are nostalgic for the past for totally understandable reasons and really are not bought into the undeniable corporatisation of the club. Quite a significant number of people also don't particularly want promotion either - cost, the strong likelihood of being done over week after week, the almost certain prospect of never winning silverware or of getting a promotion (obviously!). While I have a lot of sympathy for this viewpoint, it isn't one I share. Southampton are the role model for me, and I'd be perfectly happy with that...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Assuming DK had continued to chair the board, then (while still maintaining my opinion of him as a saviour), I think we'd be in and out of administration at best or possibly even cease to exist in any real form.

DK, although he did a fantastic job to get us to where we were did not have the resources or access to the resources to continue to take us on the road to the Amex. (IMO) He had pretty much exhausted his "friends and family" list of backers and was starting to run out of options.

So we'd either be...
1. saddled trying to service a £50m debt (borrowed at "high risk" rates) and have a vastly inferior stadium to the current Amex and have no cash left from the 15k gate receipts to run the club or;
2. we'd have stayed at Withdean and scaffolding stands and had no decent gate receipts.

Either way, our days as a viable club (never mind a championship club) would be severely limited and attractiveness to a "foreign" (by which I mean non-Brighton supporting more than overseas) sugar daddy would been extremely low.

Whatever else you think about TB and his inner cabal of staff since he took over, the act of taking over, singularly saved the club.

Saved me typing - exactly this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here