Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove On This Day - my new book

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I've got a new book coming out this Friday called Brighton & Hove On This Day.

It's the same format as the Albion one, but instead focusses on the rich and colourful history of this wonderful place, as far back as the 12th century, in an easily digestible format.

To say it was a labour of love would not be an understatement!

I learnt a lot (of useless information) and hopefully it will the same for reader.

Here's an excerpt for tomorrow's date:

WEDNESDAY 24th OCTOBER 1934
Brighton & Hove Albion, the Brighton Bears, Sussex County Cricket Club, Steve Ovett, Sally Gunnell and Chris Eubank have had spells of varying length in the Brighton and Hove sporting limelight but there was a time when another sport grabbed the local, and sometimes national, headlines. The Brighton Tigers ice hockey club played their first-ever fixture on this day, beating Richmond Hawks 4-2, at the Brighton Stadium. Crowds reached 4,000 for the Thursday night games and the roar of the Tigers fans could often be heard near the top of West Street. The original 1935 side was formed when London promoter Claude Langdon took over the newly converted ice rink and entered the Tigers in the professional English National League – which predominantly consisted of Canadians as the sport was relatively unknown in Britain at the time – alongside six teams from the London area. The Tigers, resplendent in their black and yellow kit, packed in the locals right up until the advent of World War II. After the hostilities, the club entered its golden era winning the English National League in 1946/47 and 1947/48, the English Autumn Cup 1946/47 and 1950/51, the British National League 1957/58, the British Autumn Cup 1956/57 and 1958/59 and the British Championship in 1960. Tragically, the Tigers’ home, the Brighton Sports Stadium, was demolished in 1965 to make way for Churchill Square.

Anyway, the launch party/book signing session is this Friday upstairs at The Eagle from 5-8pm.

Would be ace to see some Brightonian - and any other - faces...

Hope to see you then...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Great idea for a book. Can't make the launch but best of British, anyone who gets it together to write a book on any subject, especially Brighton deserves respect. Well done.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Thanks for your posts one and all.

I've PMed those who intimated they wanted a copy.

Loved researching and writing it and, hopefully, that will come across in the content.

Cheers,

Dan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here