Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Canadian terrorism

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Not good at the moment.

At the weekend a radicalised Muslim convert deliberately ran over two soldiers, killing one. He was shot dead soon after.

Now a soldier has been shot at the war memorial in Ottawa, and there are other reports he has also fired multiple shots at parliament. No news on whether it is another Islamist attack but it does seem a distinct possibility. It gives the impression that fanatics are responding to ISIS/ISIL's call to kill police and military by whatever means.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Terrible news which brings into question whether the British Police and Military should be armed at all times when out in public, if this threat is a real danger in the UK.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
And Islam must be taught in all our schools but not Christianity.

You do talk rubbish sometimes. When were you last in a classroom?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Terrible news which brings into question whether the British Police and Military should be armed at all times when out in public, if this threat is a real danger in the UK.

The debate will always return. I just feel that because they aren't armed we do see less gun crime than we otherwise would.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Attacking Canadian targets is all a bit odd though. A bit like punching Terry Wogan - why go for a fairly innocuous target with so many other more obvious ones around?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Attacking Canadian targets is all a bit odd though. A bit like punching Terry Wogan - why go for a fairly innocuous target with so many other more obvious ones around?

Because it is an innocuous target? The suspect is one that the Canadians had prevented travelling and had his passport confiscated, so chose an 'easy' target.

Edited to add that I'm getting this from BBC News live. One suspect is dead but some shots are still being fired, so it seems there is a second.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

I guess the message is that no-one is safe, and it still makes top headlines. Canada is part of the anti-ISIS coalition too.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class

Because Canada recently pledged planes to attack ISIS. Canada was on the list of countries that ISIS singled out, as was the UK.

The guy that ran the soldiers down at the weekend was a white Canadian radical convert. ISIS is encouraging their supporters to take action wherever they are. It seems very likely that today's attack was something similar, I'm sure it will turn out to be a Canadian that is responsible. Everywhere has their fanatics these days.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Because it is an innocuous target? The suspect is one that the Canadians had prevented travelling and had his passport confiscated, so chose an 'easy' target.

Ah, I see. But in which case the reason definitely wouldn't be 'innocuous' but the only available target and one the target had a grudge against, surely?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Maybe because it's perceived to be a softer target, as Canada has never really been targeted before, so the population might be a little more complacent about it than Americans. Possibly.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Because Canada recently pledged planes to attack ISIS. Canada was on the list of countries that ISIS singled out, as was the UK.

The guy that ran the soldiers down at the weekend was a white Canadian radical convert. ISIS is encouraging their supporters to take action wherever they are. It seems very likely that today's attack was something similar, I'm sure it will turn out to be a Canadian that is responsible. Everywhere has their fanatics these days.

Yes, I know that Canada is part of the anti-ISIS group but if I can use another ridiculous and inappropriate simile it's like wanting to hurt Ole Gunnar Solksjaer when he played at Man U when you could have gone for Keane, RVN or Gary Neville. But if Canada was all the terrorist could attack then it makes perfect sense.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here