Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grandma's cooking

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I recently spent a few days with my dear Grandma, outstanding woman and still going very strong at 92, still does aquarobics, drives etc. This was 48 hrs cooking by her:

Roast pork, red cabbage and vinegar, mash, mushroom gravy.

2 bacon, 2 banger, 2 egg, black pudding, tomato, 2 slices of Holy Ghost.

Corned beef hash, mash, peas, gravy

Steak and kidney suet pudding, mash, swede, cabbages, carrots gravy

Custard tart, custard

2 bacon, 2 sausage, 2 egg, black pudding, fried slice.

Together with copious cups of tea and lemon drizzle cake.

My God! I'm still waiting for the shit to arrive, it's been 3 days. It's utterly remarkable how anyone could eat like that daily, as I say she is 91, slim and strong as a ox.

How did people do it?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I just spent a week with mine. Also 92. Lived in terror all week expecting the dreaded words 'ive a nice neck of lamb for supper'...shes frail as well. Supper? Im still recovering from breakfast! No clue how they do it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I just spent a week with mine. Also 92. Lived in terror all week expecting the dreaded words 'ive a nice neck of lamb for supper'...shes frail as well. Supper? Im still recovering from breakfast! No clue how they do it.

Ha! I hear you, discussing what you want for that night's dinner over breakfast! Bless them all!

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I recently spent a few days with my dear Grandma, outstanding woman and still going very strong at 92, still does aquarobics, drives etc. This was 48 hrs cooking by her:

Custard tart, custard

My God! I'm still waiting for the shit to arrive, it's been 3 days. It's utterly remarkable how anyone could eat like that daily, as I say she is 91, slim and strong as a ox.

How did people do it?

It's all in the jeans.!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I thought this was going to be a thread about the crematorium.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Grandma's always take an inexplicable joy in feeding their grandchildren huge meals.

My nan was an amazing cook, and thankfully passed on all she knew to my auntie. Although nothing's ever come close to her hungarian goulash!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't recall my grandparents eating anything too horrendous (thinking back to the tripe thread here). I do recall my granny made epic roast dinners. Her roast potatoes have never been bettered in my lifetime by any restaurant. Or by me.

Cruelly, she developed Alzheimer's in her final years, and when that kicked in, the once-anticipated roasts became more of a guessing game as to which food flavouring she'd put into the gravy, and which elements of the meal would actually be cooked and which weren't.

I prefer to look back at all the good days :)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I can't recall my grandparents eating anything too horrendous (thinking back to the tripe thread here). I do recall my granny made epic roast dinners. Her roast potatoes have never been bettered in my lifetime by any restaurant. Or by me.

Cruelly, she developed Alzheimer's in her final years, and when that kicked in, the once-anticipated roasts became more of a guessing game as to which food flavouring she'd put into the gravy, and which elements of the meal would actually be cooked and which weren't.

I prefer to look back at all the good days :)

Roast roulette. Poor thing!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
She obviously doesn't follow the Albion, it takes years off you!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

Custard tart, custard

How did people do it?

probably worked hard and walked everywhere , non smoker ,light drinker and has remains active with a positive outlook on life..?

does she like leather gear...???

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
probably worked hard and walked everywhere , non smoker ,light drinker and has remains active with a positive outlook on life..?

does she like leather gear...???

Ha! Yes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When I went to Holy Trinity School in Worthing my gran lived just down the road in Howard St so I visited every lunch/school dinner time and every day she made a suet pudding to go with the meat and veg or as a dessert covered in jam or syrup. It was fabulous, that and her baked suet puddings which she taught my wife to make.

During the winter she insisted I stop off on the way to school and she did me a slice of fried bread saying that kept the colds and germs off of my chest irrespective of having had porridge for breakfast at home.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
When I went to Holy Trinity School in Worthing my gran lived just down the road in Howard St so I visited every lunch/school dinner time and every day she made a suet pudding to go with the meat and veg or as a dessert covered in jam or syrup. It was fabulous, that and her baked suet puddings which she taught my wife to make.

During the winter she insisted I stop off on the way to school and she did me a slice of fried bread saying that kept the colds and germs off of my chest irrespective of having had porridge for breakfast at home.

Sounds rather lovely.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Suet pudding with the roast, was the norm in my Grandma's and my Mums house. Fried in the roasting tin with the joint and meat juices. Both my Mum's and Dad'd family are Brighton or Sussex back many generations, so where it comes from I have no idea nor did they. When you ask in different parts of the country people look at you a bit strange, it appears to be a culinary delight that most people have not heard of.
Have to go now just writing and thinking about it as set me off dribbling again'

This thread brings back fond memories of Mrs.P's wee Scottish Grannie. I think on the first time I met her she produced tea and home made cake 30' prior to a full on roast dinner because she was worried I might be hungry.
Five children, a life of hard work in nursing (for which she got an MBE) and she lived pretty independently possessing a full set of marbles until shortly before her passing at 93 bless her.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
My grandma was one of the finest exponents of suet I have ever met.
Bacon roll, steak and kidney pudding, jam roly poly and treacle suet pudding all boiled in muslin cloth.

Trouble was she always had a fag hanging from her mouth and often dropped her ash in the gravy or custard. :eek:

Aug 23, 2011

Custard tart, custard

How did people do it?

Sounds great, If you need a substitute for your next visit....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here