Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fine margins

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A wonderfully worked move between LuaLua, JFC and Baldock to notch his first for the Albion - cruelly, but correctly, ruled out for offside. The picture below illustrates just how fine the margins are sometimes.

attachment.php

JFC was actually running back at the moment the ball was played so did end up the right side of the defender before he received the ball.

Snap from the EXCELLENT match report that you really should be reading: http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?295-REPORT-Huddersfield-Town-1-1-Albion-21-10-14

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
That doesn't really clear things up for me.

The through ball reaches Baldock, who then flicks the ball through for JFC to finish, so at this point as the pass is made, JFC isn't active. If however it is in fact Baldock who is the furthest player forward and not JFC, then that would make sense.

Maybe I need glasses.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

The through ball reaches Baldock, who then flicks the ball through for JFC to finish, so at this point as the pass is made, JFC isn't active. If however it is in fact Baldock who is the furthest player forward and not JFC, then that would make sense.

Maybe I need glasses.

A still picture rarely tells the full story. It must have been close, as typically when you have a suspicion a player might be offside, your first reaction (and that of the players) is to look to the linesman, just in case.

Maybe it's because we were behind the goal, or possibly through sheer stunned paralysis at the idea that someone who isn't a defender had got the ball in the net for us, but it honestly never even occurred to me to look across for a flag. I just started cheering the goal, as did everybody else.

For a few seconds at least :facepalm:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Maybe I need glasses.

Eh? JFC is in the offside position in that picture. He's the one who receives the ball first, so he's offside.

(I'm guessing the guy in the yellow boots is JFC)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Eh? JFC is in the offside position in that picture. He's the one who receives the ball first, so he's offside.

(I'm guessing the guy in the yellow boots is JFC)

Yep. JFC was furthest forward, coming from a clearly offside position to receive the ball from Kaz. If Kaz had held the pass for another fraction of a second, JFC would have been onside, although given the nature of the run he could still have been called (incorrectly) offside.

When he received the ball JFC flicked the ball for Baldock to finish.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think if we're going to this sort of lengths about what's happening on the pitch we're getting pretty desperate

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whilst I don't wish to be overly negative, and whilst isolated incidents like this are down to fine margins, 1 goal from all of our strikers this far into the season isn't "fine margins".

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think if we're going to this sort of lengths about what's happening on the pitch we're getting pretty desperate

People who were there wanted to know if it was offside or not. It's merely to illustrate it was. Just.

Whilst I don't wish to be overly negative, and whilst isolated incidents like this are down to fine margins, 1 goal from all of our strikers this far into the season isn't "fine margins".

I agree and I disagree. If that had gone for us and if we had scored one of the zillions of chances we had against Cardiff the table would look a whole lot different.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Yep. JFC was furthest forward, coming from a clearly offside position to receive the ball from Kaz. If Kaz had held the pass for another fraction of a second, JFC would have been onside, although given the nature of the run he could still have been called (incorrectly) offside.

When he received the ball JFC flicked the ball for Baldock to finish.

Ah, good. I thought it was Baldock who scored at the time, particularly going by his distraught reaction to the offside flag. Several reports had it as JFC. Really disappointing for Sam as it was a nice finish too, exactly the sort of thing he's been bought for. That first goal is so important for him.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Give over, football fans have always dissected refereeing decisions, since the dawn of time.

Or at least since the invention of the Laws of Association Football.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Fine margins, hmm, yes.

The better/winning teams/players are one side of these margins, the poorer/losing sides are the other side.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
A still picture rarely tells the full story. It must have been close, as typically when you have a suspicion a player might be offside, your first reaction (and that of the players) is to look to the linesman, just in case.

Maybe it's because we were behind the goal, or possibly through sheer stunned paralysis at the idea that someone who isn't a defender had got the ball in the net for us, but it honestly never even occurred to me to look across for a flag. I just started cheering the goal, as did everybody else.

For a few seconds at least :facepalm:

I saw the flag go up and groaned, because, from our slightly distorted view from behind the goal, I really believed that he was onside. Sigh.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think Bozza is suggesting that we are where we are because of some sort of cruel misfortune. I'm sure he's as aware as any of us of the limitations of the current side, and he's not trying to tell anyone that our position is entirely down to one, seemingly correct, decision.

I read it quite simply as a confirmation of the closeness of a late offside call in one game, that's all. A few inches to the right, the goal is good, and we win the game (probably). That's a fine margin, as football goes, isn't it?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Smithies tipping Colunga's shot onto the bar is also a fine margin. I know he's a good keeper but he just got a finger tip to it.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Baldock has now failed to score in the last 12 full games that he has played including his last 7 for Bristol Rovers.

That is a striker who desperately needs a goal and hopefully things will improve.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I am very guilty of an overly optimistic analysis of the fine margins in football matches.

In the cold light of day, it is absolutely impossible that we have been "unlucky" in terms of the outcomes of many thousands of incidents across approximately 1,250 minutes of league action this season so far...

My residual GHF attitude is buoyed by the players signed after the first two games had been played and by the prospect of some more winnable looking games on the horizon. Based on the evidence, only a fool would rule us out from being "mid-table" by Christmas and pushing upwards in the top half at Easter.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Doubt hyypia would have been too happy with JFC being so far forward, leave that to the full backs!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here