Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did Bloom Sack Slade?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
After how long and what run of bad results did Bloom sack Slade?

Might give us a little Idea of how much Patience he will be willing to show with Sami.

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
When Bloom wanted rid of Slade Steve Coppell was his number one choice.
Bloom met with Coppell while Slade was still manager.
Coppell asked Bloom if Slade was aware that the meeting was taking place, Bloom said Slade was not aware.
Coppell halted the conversation dead and finished the meeting.
Coppell was working with/leading light in the LMA and as such the conversation couldn’t continue.

Bloom then went for Atkins, whom turned us down and we then got Poyet

Yoda

English & European
Think it was early November. Difference being, of course, that Slade was never Tony's choice of manager.

Then why did he get offered the contract by Bloom in the Summer when he took over as Chairman?
Slade's original deal the season he kept us up was only until the end of that season.

Yoda

English & European
Can you imagine the fans reaction if he hadn't?

I know some would've been in uproar, but I was quite akin to the idea of having someone brought in for the short term to keep us up, then starting from scratch that summer with a whole new manager and team in place. I would've been happy for Slade to have kept his job if we had gone down though to give him a chance to get us back up.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Then why did he get offered the contract by Bloom in the Summer when he took over as Chairman?
Slade's original deal the season he kept us up was only until the end of that season.

People may remember that the day before the Stockport game, a couple of tabloids ran a story that Slade was on his way out and Dennis Wise would be coming in.

I was told at the time that the source was very closely linked to a director of the albion.

I believe that the decision to retain Slade was Knight's last action before being nudged aside. Bloom would have had to ratify it. And nobody can accuse Bloom of not backing Slade financially that summer

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Slade did deserve time I think since he kept us up against the odds. Certain other managers have done nothing for us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Coppell asked Bloom if Slade was aware that the meeting was taking place, Bloom said Slade was not aware.
Coppell was working with/leading light in the LMA and as such the conversation couldn’t continue.

Adkins was in a job so wouldn't have applied for the post. If Tony Bloom had approached Adkins, he would have had to ask Scunthorpe for permission to speak to him.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Adkins? Shudder. I'd rather have Gus grossly misconducting all over the Palace dressing room than that four eyed scouse smug twat.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Personally I do see how this compares. We didnt NEED to go up that season, but we couldnt afford to go down. PersonallY I see less in Sami's tactics than I did in slades. I think both managers done poorly with the players they had and the money that had been spent. two more poor league results and I think we will see the same again from Mr Bloom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here