Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

91/92 all over again

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Those who were worried at the lack of any real planning or investment in the squad have been vindicated. Not bedetters, but sensible concerned fans.. We are now in real danger of relegation and worse. Unbelievable, given our support abd wonderful stadium, but nevertheless still true. The board should hang their heads in shame!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I don't agree the board should hang their heads in shame, because they have put together a decent squad imo, at least enough to challenge the playoffs. However they have put their trust in a newbie manager and it doesn't seem to be working......yet.
Although it does feel a bit like 91/92. We were expected to do well after that year but we sold all our decent players and didn't replace them and went down. Although the side at the time had the 'too good to go down' label, a bit like this current squad.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Apologies, a 'friend' who accuses me of being a bedwetter got my phone last night when I was logged in and posted this. The post is a wild exaggeration of my real views! I certainly don't think the board should hang their heads in shame!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
But in 91/92 we did go down with a whimper so he/you does have a point.

Mind you oh for Mark Gall right now.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Funnily enough, I was thinking the same. It's '92 all over again, post Wembley hangover after best players sold. CMS is Raphael Meade (he's got speed - that's a piss take for younger fans). But yes, what I'd do for a Mark Gall right now. Brilliant player sadly curtailed by injuries. We had more income for sure, but the net difference is the same ie we are in debt up to our eyeballs so cannot replace players sold at major profit.

I don't think I can go through another 90s following this club! I really will give in and "join em" (the masses), "following" my team on TV. I'm goin to go big though. Might as well go for Real Madrid as they'll always be rich. Quite like the thought of jeering at Chelsea, United etc fans saying how crap their team is and how "my" team (I'll buy a copy of 442 and swot up) are amazing and how brilliant we did at the weekend, smashing teams like Majorica and La Coronna.

I've depressed myself and it's not even 9am :(

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Odd. I don't remember having just opened a training academy at considerable expense in 91.

Clearly just my rose tinted spectacles. Tony has obviously put £200 million in as a prelude to asset stripping us senseless.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That's why I wrote "net effect is the same". Of course the assets are greater. But we are still effectively penniless and scrapping around for cash comparatively (to other clubs in our league). There are similarities. No one is saying it's the same. And I've heard rumours of a kit next season that looks like a strawberry chewit wrapper...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
After selling our goal scorers Byrne and Small, like we'e done with Buckley and Ulloa

I don't think the selling part is the problem. We shouldn't be a club that steps in the way of big moves for players, otherwise no promising players would come to us. IF we're ever going to get to the Premier League, then our model will need to be one that sells on players like Southampton have done to great effect.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I don't think the selling part is the problem. We shouldn't be a club that steps in the way of big moves for players, otherwise no promising players would come to us. IF we're ever going to get to the Premier League, then our model will need to be one that sells on players like Southampton have done to great effect.

And replaces them with as good as or even better like Southampton have done, Pelle for Lambert was an ASTUTE piece of business

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
And replaces them with as good as or even better like Southampton have done, Pelle for Lambert was an ASTUTE piece of business

Exactly we get Baldrick and Clunge from Burkes magic list of sh1t players on the cheap

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Funnily enough, I was thinking the same. It's '92 all over again, post Wembley hangover after best players sold. CMS is Raphael Meade (he's got speed - that's a piss take for younger fans). But yes, what I'd do for a Mark Gall right now. Brilliant player sadly curtailed by injuries. We had more income for sure, but the net difference is the same ie we are in debt up to our eyeballs so cannot replace players sold at major profit.

I don't think I can go through another 90s following this club! I really will give in and "join em" (the masses), "following" my team on TV. I'm goin to go big though. Might as well go for Real Madrid as they'll always be rich. Quite like the thought of jeering at Chelsea, United etc fans saying how crap their team is and how "my" team (I'll buy a copy of 442 and swot up) are amazing and how brilliant we did at the weekend, smashing teams like Majorica and La Coronna.

I've depressed myself and it's not even 9am :(

I know it's early, but you need to start drinking heavily

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
After selling our goal scorers Byrne and Small, like we'e done with Buckley and Ulloa

Buckley scored 3 goals last season, the same as JFC. Hardly prolific and a permanent sick note. Want to swap his name for another to fit clumsily into your comparison?

Exactly we get Baldrick and Clunge from Burkes magic list of sh1t players on the cheap

You keep peddling this CHEAP option rubbish and you know it's not true. When looking at obscure European v English then the cheap option is never English. Never. Baldock was also the Golden Boot winner for just one league below us last season. As Bozza has explained many, many times to you and others he's costing a similar amount to Ulloa and on paper is a lesser risk than Ulloa ever was.

Why do you keep going on about the cheap option - unless you know differently?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Buckley scored 3 goals last season, the same as JFC. Hardly prolific and a permanent sick note. Want to swap his name for another to fit clumsily into your comparison?

What sticks in my craw about that, and it is supposition, is that what we saw of Buckley last season was a sulking, skulking footballer throwing his toys out of the pram because he didn't get the move he wanted either at the end of the previous summer, or in the January.

Under Gus in the previous 2 seasons, 8 goals per season, lots of assists; key player.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What sticks in my craw about that, and it is supposition, is that what we saw of Buckley last season was a sulking, skulking footballer throwing his toys out of the pram because he didn't get the move he wanted either at the end of the previous summer, or in the January.

Under Gus in the previous 2 seasons, 8 goals per season, lots of assists; key player.

I don't think it's too much supposition and also the amount we got for him was too good to refuse. He was worthless to us as a player here with the way things were. He was like a second season Spanish Dave but with a bad attitude.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

You keep peddling this CHEAP option rubbish and you know it's not true. When looking at obscure European v English then the cheap option is never English. Never. Baldock was also the Golden Boot winner for just one league below us last season. As Bozza has explained many, many times to you and others he's costing a similar amount to Ulloa and on paper is a lesser risk than Ulloa ever was.

Why do you keep going on about the cheap option - unless you know differently?

Never heard that about Baldrick costing same as Ulloa. Bristol City must have seen us coming. Besides the guy is hardly pulling up any trees so I would question the scouting here. CMS was also banging them in IN LEAGUE ONE its a Cheap option because we got £8m and spent £1m. Overall we made a small fortune in player sales and recruited cheaply mainly frees and loans and then those loans didnt include players we are crying out for Grant Holt, FFS etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here