Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trafalgar day

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
battle_of_trafalgar_poster_18052.jpg
As a country we appear to have forgotten this. Shame, probably upsets the foreigners.
Anyway.........Sussex expects that this evening every player will do his duty!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Please tell me you're joking :facepalm:

Based on many 'authorities' haste to replace Christmas with a 'WinterFestival' there seems every reason to suppose that (the resurrection of) Trafalgar Day would be viewed by some as being as potentially inflammatory as the Cross of St George although in truth it's celebration as a national day has long passed.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Yes, I bet the quarter of a million Brits who own property in France are keen to celebrate such a recent victory and rub their French neighbours' noses in it :facepalm:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Yes, I bet the quarter of a million Brits who own property in France are keen to celebrate such a recent victory and rub their French neighbours' noses in it :facepalm:

The Spanish fleet were there as well with the French, but your probably not aware of that.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

just opened another beer on the strength of that,but don't tell the voisin :drink: :thumbsup:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Based on many 'authorities' haste to replace Christmas with a 'WinterFestival' there seems every reason to suppose that (the resurrection of) Trafalgar Day would be viewed by some as being as potentially inflammatory as the Cross of St George although in truth it's celebration as a national day has long passed.

That is genuinely the first time I've ever heard a suggestion of 'Winter Festival'. Who are these authorities you speak of? (I appreciate I may get whooshed massively here)

In my life the only time I've seen the date publicly marked was when the bi-centenary came around in 2005. Sadly once an event passes out of living memory no one will ever be able to connect with it in quite the same way again. Will people still be commemorating VE day in two hundred years time?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That is genuinely the first time I've ever heard a suggestion of 'Winter Festival'. Who are these authorities you speak of? (I appreciate I may get whooshed massively here)

Winter Festivals (or Wintervals) have been brought in by County Councils, one of the hotbeds of OTT PC. Same as attempts have been made to re-name blackboards and accident black spots (I'm not sure what they came u[p with for the last two, but I don't think it stuck).

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Winter Festivals (or Wintervals) have been brought in by County Councils, one of the hotbeds of OTT PC. Same as attempts have been made to re-name blackboards and accident black spots (I'm not sure what they came u[p with for the last two, but I don't think it stuck).

Christ.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Birmingham's Winterval in the late 90's was an attempt at a more inclusive celebration which backfired badly as it was widely viewed as political correctness gone mad. The concept of a more secular "Winterval" came from the States and has been adopted by a number of local authorities here and in particular in strongly multicultural communities. The idea of inclusion is surely "a good thing" but is sadly (in my view) too often accompanied by the sidelining of tradition.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Birmingham's Winterval in the late 90's was an attempt at a more inclusive celebration which backfired badly as it was widely viewed as political correctness gone mad. The concept of a more secular "Winterval" came from the States and has been adopted by a number of local authorities here and in particular in strongly multicultural communities. The idea of inclusion is surely "a good thing" but is sadly (in my view) too often accompanied by the sidelining of tradition.

You are argueing against yourself.

K

Please can you provide me with a link to a list of these County Councils?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
You are argueing against yourself.

No I'm really not.
I am stating that whilst the concept of inclusion is good it is sometimes hijacked for other (largely political) reasons and can be adopted at the cost of tradition rather than alongside it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here