Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tech Help Please- Corrupted Micro SD Card

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
I put a brand new 64GB micro SD card in my new HTC M8 last week, was away for the weekend in Germany and took loads of pics and video's, which were viewable and suddenly disappeared on Saturday night. Pics I have taken since are on the phone OK.

I took the phone to the 02 shop yesterday, no guru available, but the fella who had a look suggested that the card was corrupted, and that I should send it back.

I have tried putting it in a card reader in my PC but it tells me that the card needs to be formatted before I can use it. Pressing the OK button to do that shows that the 64GB card has only about 30GB of space on it which suggests to me that my pics and maybe some other stuff are on the card but I just can't see it.

I have stopped short of actually formatting the card as I live in hope that someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction if there is a way around this. Can anyone give me an idea please whether I can retrieve my photo's and vids?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Plenty of undelete software out there - find something well regarded and give it a go.

Often the software will work in trial mode to show you what you could recover and then you pay if you want to proceed.

I've used a few before but not for a while and it was on a mac so I can't recommend anything specific, sorry.

Good luck.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Is it true you can recover photos that have been deleted from a memory card? Is deleting them just a soft delete and not a format?

Yes, nothing is ever deleted. It's marked for deletion and then overwritten when something else is saved. Even when formatting a drive, you'll have to do a low level format to really remove them.

Free software like Recuva works well on NTFS file partitions.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yes, nothing is ever deleted. It's marked for deletion and then overwritten when something else is saved. Even when formatting a drive, you'll have to do a low level format to really remove them.

Excellent, thanks.

Now just have to find the memory card and recover the picture of me snogging a topless American blonde. A friend inadvertently deleted all my photos of a hockey pub crawl as he didn't like the one of him. Haven't seen the memory card for ten years though :(

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
Plenty of undelete software out there - find something well regarded and give it a go.

Often the software will work in trial mode to show you what you could recover and then you pay if you want to proceed.

I've used a few before but not for a while and it was on a mac so I can't recommend anything specific, sorry.

Good luck.

Thanks Bozza

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Excellent, thanks.

Now just have to find the memory card and recover the picture of me snogging a topless American blonde. A friend inadvertently deleted all my photos of a hockey pub crawl as he didn't like the one of him. Haven't seen the memory card for ten years though :(

Sounds like a right ********.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

This, but more than this, Flash memory has finite writes so to make the card last as long as possible, sectors are written to in order; if a file is erased, that sector doesn't get overwritten until it's "turn" comes round next time. In theory if you get a new 64gb card and write a 1gb file to it, erase the file and write another 63 1gb files to it, you can still recover the original file because each sector of the drive has been written once.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Good luck with this, I hope you find a program that can recover your files.

I bought a 32GB card a while back, and found it couldn't store very many images at all. I researched it and it turned out it was a fake card, it was branded Sandisk and came in what I thought was proper branded 'blister' packaging. I was advised to run a piece of software called H2testw and check the card, it turned out to only have about half a GB, and was confirmed as a fake card. I got a full refund on it, from an eBay store that had 100% feedback and thousands of previous sales, the seller apologised and said that he had been conned too when he sourced a consignment. Now I would only buy direct or from national companies to be sure it's not a fake.

D

Deleted member 22389

Good luck with this, I hope you find a program that can recover your files.

I bought a 32GB card a while back, and found it couldn't store very many images at all. I researched it and it turned out it was a fake card, it was branded Sandisk and came in what I thought was proper branded 'blister' packaging. I was advised to run a piece of software called H2testw and check the card, it turned out to only have about half a GB, and was confirmed as a fake card. I got a full refund on it, from an eBay store that had 100% feedback and thousands of previous sales, the seller apologised and said that he had been conned too when he sourced a consignment. Now I would only buy direct or from national companies to be sure it's not a fake.

There is a right load of shit on Ebay. Bought an external caddy for 3.5" hard drive, the electronics looked where really poor, the aluniminium housing hard sharp edges, the plastic ends where loose as well as the connections for the USB and power, it was dangerous. Also bought some tools as New when I got them they where reconditioned. The metal faces had small chunks out of them, and the tools had been put on a linisher. Needs to be more Quality Control on Ebay. Might send the tools directly to manufacturer, or ask the manufacturers to buy direct from the seller, because this seller is going to give the company a bad name.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here