Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would be the consequences of RELEGATION ?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Should the unthinkable happen and we did get relegated what would be the consequences ? Would we /Could we do a Wolves and bounce right back as we would have the financial muscle to snap up everyones decent players ? Or would we be like Sheffield United , Preston etc and find it harder to get back up ?

Tickets obviously would have to be a lot cheaper but could the club thrive if the gates went down to the 15000ish mark ?

Even if we change managers and the coaching team there is no guarantee of any improvement in the team unless a lot of money is thrown at the squad and FFP would scupper that plan.

It's no good saying it won't happen, Blackpool looked doomed but Birmingham may pick up now and the other teams below us are in better form now so I just hope Bloom is not doing an ostrich and acting when things are too late.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Ticket prices would hardly drop. Playing budget massively cut.Our better players being snapped up at cheaper prices. Big drop in attendances. It would be a disaster all round. Could we also afford to run a cat 1 academy?

Wolves went down with parachute payments and sold some players for massive fees.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Downward spiral would be extremely hard to reverse. In the same way that the Amex was expanded to full capacity earlydoors (if I remember correctly) because it would cost exponentially more to do it later, the same principle should be applied to players. The more the club do it on the cheap for now, the more massively they'll be having to play catch-up on market rates later. Might possibly be a financing gap the current chairman is unable/unwilling to finance. At some point, every businessman has to say enough is enough.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Don't care as we're Premier league ready and will have the proud record of being the only club that have met FFP :)

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Downward spiral would be extremely hard to reverse. In the same way that the Amex was expanded to full capacity earlydoors (if I remember correctly) because it would cost exponentially more to do it later, the same principle should be applied to players. The more the club do it on the cheap for now, the more massively they'll be having to play catch-up on market rates later. Might possibly be a financing gap the current chairman is unable/unwilling to fill.

Getting ready to sell to foreign owners ?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I have no evidence, but I'm not that convinced that attendances will crash so badly.

For the same reasons we punch WELL ABOVE our weight for a Championship team attendance-wise, I think a first div BHA would still command large crowds - if the JCLs were really so shallow then why are they watching Championship and not Premier League football?

On the pitch... I think we'd bounce back quickly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have no evidence, but I'm not that convinced that attendances will crash so badly.

If we're mainly winning in League One, crowds will be OK.

In fact, a top-of-the-table League One Albion would probably command higher crowds than a struggling-in-the-Championship Albion.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
WSU closed down

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
If we're mainly winning in League One, crowds will be OK.

In fact, a top-of-the-table League One Albion would probably command higher crowds than a struggling-in-the-Championship Albion.

Agree. Clearly current performances are part of a grand conspiracy between TB & PB to boost attendances! (joking btw!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here