Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Artist formerly known as Banksy arrested

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
But is Fappy The Anti ************ Dolphin real?

Brief rant. Banksy gets on my nerves (ok I have probably never met him, he may be a really decent guy) - if it was some herbert with a spray can writing "Albion" everywhere that would be deemed wrong but because arty fartsy Guardian Readers think it is cool and o.k. and anti establishment what he does seems to be acceptable.

....and relax.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Brief rant. Banksy gets on my nerves (ok I have probably never met him, he may be a really decent guy) - if it was some herbert with a spray can writing "Albion" everywhere that would be deemed wrong but because arty fartsy Guardian Readers think it is cool and o.k. and anti establishment what he does seems to be acceptable.

....and relax.

It IS art & more incisive and interesting than your post suggest you are

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It IS art & more incisive and interesting than your post suggest you are

But what about all the other street art out there, that gets treated as graffitti and is covered up, I am not talking about Tags, but genuinly great bits of work, just covered up by the council, where as a Banksy gets 24 Hour protection and a perspex sheet to protect it.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

....and relax.

What a stupid rant.

If someone went around spraying Albion on the walls with a measure or talent and or wit. Then fair play. It beats a lot of stuff we have to look at. Banksy, whether you like what he does or not, it's usually a bit hit or miss, he's not just spraying 'albion' on walls is he? If you don't like it, fine, but he can clearly draw/paint to some degree and has something he wants to say, whether you agree or not. He has a pretty good sense of humour sometimes too.

And anyway, plenty of people do deem it wrong.

I quite like him (this hoax made me smile), some or his stuff is a bit meh, but love some of his 'works'. Favourite being when he put up pieces in the art gallery that weren't noticed for a few days or so. It's funnier than Enrest!

I think he's spot on about advertising. THAT's a good rant :

People are taking the piss out of you everyday. They butt into your life, take a cheap shot at you and then disappear. They leer at you from tall buildings and make you feel small. They make flippant comments from buses that imply you're not sexy enough and that all the fun is happening somewhere else. They are on TV making your girlfriend feel inadequate. They have access to the most sophisticated technology the world has ever seen and they bully you with it. They are The Advertisers and they are laughing at you. You, however, are forbidden to touch them. Trademarks, intellectual property rights and copyright law mean advertisers can say what they like wherever they like with total impunity. **** THAT. Any advert in a public space that gives you no choice whether you see it or not is yours. It's yours to take, re-arrange and re-use. You can do whatever you like with it. Asking for permission is like asking to keep a rock someone just threw at your head. You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't owe then any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission, don't even start asking for theirs.
Banksy

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
But what about all the other street art out there, that gets treated as graffitti and is covered up, I am not talking about Tags, but genuinly great bits of work, just covered up by the council, where as a Banksy gets 24 Hour protection and a perspex sheet to protect it.

It's hardly his fault is it?

And wasn't 'Exit through the gift shop' a response to that very question? Preserving a bit of street art before it disappears.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
You do know National Report is a joke site, right?

Here some more of their headlines from today:

White House to be painted green for Earth Month
Plastic completely outlawed in California
Ebola affected ISIS militants arrested in Arizona
Deadly Heebola virus discovered in Israel
Obama to auction off all marijuana seized in drug raids since taking office...

I loved this one: Charlie Sheen’s “Tiger Blood” Might Hold Cure For Ebola, Doctors Say

BristolPete

Sep 24, 2014
A new "Banksy" appeared over the weekend near the harbour here in the centre of Bristol, as reported by local news (they just love a Banksy story). He might well be at the Nova Scotia for a drink this evening, as he's back in town, and then onto the Gate for the game tonight.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here