Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tipping! Am I old fashioned?

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Last week eating out at a couple of restaurants I paid the bills using cash. On each occasion I left what was obviously a tip.What surprised me was the waitresses returned the tips. I assured them the extra money was for them ,they were taken aback. Because most people pay by card these days, is this an easy way out to skip the tipping culture?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In the US they expect 20% ridiculous. it spoilt eating out.

Depends on the cost of the meal! If the meal price is cheaper then what is the problem. I always understood that serving staff didn't have high wages so as to encourage excellent service when the tips would supplement their wage.

Last week eating out at a couple of restaurants I paid the bills using cash. On each occasion I left what was obviously a tip.What surprised me was the waitresses returned the tips. I assured them the extra money was for them ,they were taken aback. Because most people pay by card these days, is this an easy way out to skip the tipping culture?

Not necessarily. In some eateries, when paying by card you can add a gratuity. Alternatively, pay by card for the meal and leave cash for the tip.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I'll leave a tip if it is good Food service etc. A few years back in a Restaurant in Bulgaria tried to tip a waiter ,not realising you tipped the one who took your order .It caused untold scenes the 3 course meal and beers came to roughly £7 .50 and i'd left £3 in tips.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Different cultures, different 'rules'. You know before you go that 20% is the norm over there. Without large tips the waiters' wages are very low.

Eating out in the States still comes out cheaper than it does here, even when factoring the 20% in. So where's the problem?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you were paying the whole thing in cash, it's only common politeness for waiting staff to return all of the 'change' and not make the assumption that all excess money is being left as a tip, even if it seems blatantly obvious that is the case.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005

Not de rigeur in McDonald's

Jul 7, 2003

Tipping is very much the norm in the US although at 15% on average - 20% is for very good service. As others have said, the wages are very low which is why they go out of their way to give good service and therefore get good tips. I believe that they are also taxed on the assumption that they will receive a certain amount of tips so if you don't tip it can actually cost them money.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Different cultures, different 'rules'. You know before you go that 20% is the norm over there. Without large tips the waiters' wages are very low.

Eating out in the States still comes out cheaper than it does here, even when factoring the 20% in. So where's the problem?
It is not cheaper out there ,and service is no better. In fact service is much better in this country. People say that they do not earn much, well it is the same here.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
At the pub I worked at over the summer we were taught to return any change to the customer even if it were blatantly obvious it were a tip, you musn't assume they were leaving it for you. With respect to card payments if the bill were £55 but they paid £60 on card (and made it clear it was a tip) we took £5 out of the till and put in the tip jar - perhaps I got lucky with the pub I worked at!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

They'll never be able to afford health insurance, unless they work three jobs?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
If you were paying the whole thing in cash, it's only common politeness for waiting staff to return all of the 'change' and not make the assumption that all excess money is being left as a tip, even if it seems blatantly obvious that is the case.

This is true, leave themselves open to claims of dishonesty even if as Bozza says it's obvious. You need to make it clear it is a tip. For me in this country I pay what's on the bill by card, and tip by cash. I feel that way at least who served us gets the tip....all 5p of it. :wink:

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
It is not cheaper out there ,and service is no better. In fact service is much better in this country. People say that they do not earn much, well it is the same here.

I lived in Washington DC for 14 months and I can assure you that eating out there is at the very least 10% cheaper than here. And for me the service is much better, almost to the point that it becomes patronising. Also lots of extras in most restaurants like water, bread are free, as usually are extra hot beverages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here