Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Middlesbrough's goals analysed

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
image.jpg

Both boro goals on Saturday came down the flanks where both of our full backs(wing backs) went missing where we were on the attack,both attacks broke down Calderon out of position for the first goal Greer gets dragged over Dunk isolated at back on his own
Second goal the same down other flank Bennett too high up pitch boro attack down flank dunk gets dragged over this time and Greer left isolated
Sorry sammi but it's not working, change our shape and formation and he may keep his job

My Gary Neville analysis is done :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A further bit of analysis on both goals:

Stockdale wasn't strong or commanding enough.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Thanks for this - shows how exposed Stockdale, Greer and Dunk are. Definitely time to change tactics - and if the tactics won't change Sammi has to go I'm afraid. I reckon the players could come up with better tactics on their own

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
A further bit of analysis on both goals:

Stockdale wasn't strong or commanding enough.

Maybe, but Stockdale and both centre backs were left horribly exposed. I feel it is harsh to blame Stockdale for either goal, could he have done better? Yes, of course but his errors were not the root cause of either goal. That blame lies at Greer's door for the first, and Sami's for the second, the system just does not work against any team that has quick wingers ie. every team in the Championship.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Thanks for this - shows how exposed Stockdale, Greer and Dunk are. Definitely time to change tactics - and if the tactics won't change Sammi has to go I'm afraid. I reckon the players could come up with better tactics on their own

That one made me laugh - you're probably spot on.

It all looks a tad like skool daze football to me, granted - without the extremely wide jumper goal posts, and endless simmering debates as to whether the ball hit the said post and/or was over/under the imaginary bar. Great days, great days.

Hmmm imaginary bar...

Kosh

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
View attachment 59473

Both boro goals on Saturday came down the flanks where both of our full backs(wing backs) went missing where we were on the attack,both attacks broke down Calderon out of position for the first goal Greer gets dragged over Dunk isolated at back on his own
Second goal the same down other flank Bennett too high up pitch boro attack down flank dunk gets dragged over this time and Greer left isolated
Sorry sammi but it's not working, change our shape and formation and he may keep his job

My Gary Neville analysis is done :)

Did you do all that yourself T? Well done you.

.... who is I)UNI though?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Maybe, but Stockdale and both centre backs were left horribly exposed. I feel it is harsh to blame Stockdale for either goal, could he have done better? Yes, of course but his errors were not the root cause of either goal. That blame lies at Greer's door for the first, and Sami's for the second, the system just does not work against any team that has quick wingers ie. every team in the Championship.

I would lay some blame at Stockdale for the first. From where I was sitting, when their left winger took that horribly heavy touch Stockdale could've definitely come and taken it. He hesitated. Kusz would've taken it. No question. With Stockdale you don't ever feel he's properly in command or control of his area.

I agree overall though, Hyppia deserves some blame as this tactical approach will only work if you have a stunning goalkeeper at this level (ie a Marshall or a Kuszczak)

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
...Calderon out of position for the first goal Greer gets dragged over Dunk isolated at back on his own

Not sure you can blame the full back for the first goal, Greer was in possesion and gave it away cheaply.
The second was just a joke. There is no way that their centre back after blocking a cross should be allowed to run the length of the pitch and supply an assist with only O'Grady trotting back after him. Utterly Shambolic.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The way we play at home is so easy to play against and if a team can grab the lead we are basically fecked. Let us attack, hit us on the break as we leave a ridiculous amount of space, then stick eleven men behind the ball and wait to hit us on the break again as we huff and puff without creating anything to trouble the opposition.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Dunk also has to accept a mistake in judgement for the first, as the pictures show as soon as their player escapes down the side Dunk has to forget his man and close down the ball - he doesn't, he stays with his man until it's too late. He has to come across in that situation.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Dunk also has to accept a mistake in judgement for the first, as the pictures show as soon as their player escapes down the side Dunk has to forget his man and close down the ball - he doesn't, he stays with his man until it's too late. He has to come across in that situation.

Come on Bold, Dunk is the only defender back who can make any difference. If he leaves his man their winger just squares it to the free man, damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. There is no way he will get there in time anyway.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I'm pretty sure that if you ever play a system of wing backs as we are playing now, you always ensure that play three in the centre of defence to cover the shortfall in the event that a break becomes apparent. The fact that Greer doesn't have the pace either makes it even more essential that we play 3 at back (if we're going to play wing backs). I'd personally rather play a formation that keeps 4 at the back and we play with wingers.

And not play KLL in the centre FFS!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Come on Bold, Dunk is the only defender back who can make any difference. If he leaves his man their winger just squares it to the free man, damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. There is no way he will get there in time anyway.

He has to do it though, he's not damned if he does because he closes down the danger i.e. the ball. As it was by covering the pen spot he made no influence on that goal. I'll agree he is a fine prospect and I really like him, but that was an error on his part as well as the others.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
We had the best defence in the league & still would if Sammi hadn't decided to exhaust our full backs, continually exposing our centre backs & keeper, whilst neutering the midfield causing them to create even less for our under-confident & probably not very good strikers.
Genius plan, mate - well done

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding

Incorrect - If you look at the bottom left image, you can see Stockdale pointing to Dunk to stay with his man, as Stockdale comes out to engage the winger. This would be the correct thing to do, it forced the winger to shoot rather than cross and after that the deflection from Stockdale to Tomlin was unfortunate.

As mentioned elsewhere, the key is for Greer not to give the ball away when your full backs are so high up the pitch.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have tried to understand the thinking behind the full-backs being ahead of the midfield. But failed. Can anyone explain?

It would possibly work if we got the ball to them a bit quicker but Dunk and Greer roll the ball to each other rather than 'zip' the ball across the back so the opposition have time to shuffle across, keep their shape and close down the fullback. Problem is that Sammi has decided how he wants to play rather than look at the players we have and play a system that suits their capabilities.

As for blaming Stockdale, what a load of rubbish. Having again looked at both on iplayer, when there is a heavy touch he makes his move and stands up (as Peter Schmichael) used to do) but their player gets there and squares it. Ball deflects straight to Tomlin who easily slots home. The second, he makes a good reflex save as the ball comes into Adomah and he hits it first time. Another day it would have gone out for a corner but that's luck. Not sure how anyone can say Kuszczak would definitely have got there. He made one or two errors!

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I wonder how good PIG would actually look with our current tactics ? He impressed in a confident, competent defensive line-up. What we have now is completely different and I believe you would be having similar results to what we have with Stockdale.

A completely fresh approach is needed. Try and encourage our opponents onto us and a bit and hit them on the break with our smaller more technical players. Perhaps Huddersfield will be a turning point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here