Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any car mechanics who can help

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Renault Clio 1.2 intermittent starting problem
About 50% of the time first thing in the morning it will start ok but other times it won't
Fuel pump is ok
Crankshaft sensor has been changed (as this is a common problem with Clio's)
Battery ok
Immobaliser must be ok otherwise it wouldn't bump start.
But the silly thing is that it bump starts really easy every time so why not when I try to start it.
When it does start by bump starting it works when you turn it off and on but leave it any significant time and it doesn't fire again.

Any sensible ideas as to what the problem might be as this has been going on for a few months

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Is it and injection model ? As it sounds like you may have an injector failing, allowing fuel to gravity feed away from the engine when its switched off.
Either that or the lift pump (lifts fuel from the tank to the fuel pump) although I'm not sure if Clios have these.
I would certainly get someone to run a leak off test on your injectors if it has them.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
If it has had the latest crankshaft position sensor AND corresponding loom SOLDERED in then ,in my experience,if the battery isn't 100% then it won't go. Have the battery professionally (digitally) checked.

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
If it turns over and and but starts intermittently its the cankshaft/flywheel sensor, check the wiring loom hasn't been changed before, Renault's do a modification, do yourself a favour and get the sensor and the plug/wiring loom from Renault.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here