Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mad magazines

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Anyone prepared to own up to having ever collected, bought or read 'Mad' magazines? I've got a complete set of UK issues, from 1 to 381 (January 1994), which have been gathering dust in the loft for the past twenty years. Do you think that 'Mad' was ground breaking work of satirical genius, or trash that should be left in the loft to gather dust?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I remember their parodies of 'current' films including a version of Alien which was fairly amusing. The alien that erupted out of John Hurts stomach was replaced by some American politician. That's Satire for you.

Anyone prepared to own up to having ever collected, bought or read 'Mad' magazines? I've got a complete set of UK issues, from 1 to 381 (January 1994), which have been gathering dust in the loft for the past twenty years. Do you think that 'Mad' was ground breaking work of satirical genius, or trash that should be left in the loft to gather dust?

The latter

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I loved Don Martin and have a few of his books. Captain Klutz was a particular favourite.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My 10 year old daughter has a friend who is the spitting image of the boy on the front cover but in female form.
I feel sorry for her but everyone I see her I burst out laughing.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
My 10 year old daughter has a friend who is the spitting image of the boy on the front cover but in female form.
I feel sorry for her but everyone I see her I burst out laughing.

I actually know a guy who was the clone of him til he was about 20 (Alfred E Neumann I think is the name) but has grown out of it, only the wonky teeth are still obvious. He's now going out with a ginger so he's been warned that any kids are guaranteed to look the same.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Somewhere in my garage THIS lies buried.

41eHj7On1NL.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If anybody is interested in MAD, there's a copy of THIS in the window of one of the charity shops just down from Preston Circus:

9780811872850_large.png

Weighs in at a hefty £85 though as its been there for quite a while now, they'd doubtless be open to offers.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Alfred E Neumann is a face that always makes me smile. It was always too American for me as a kid as I never knew half the people it was parodying. I must have had an uncle who collected them though because I remember the mags being everywhere in the family houses.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Interestingly enough they did replace the main parody strip with UK versions from time to time. Eg if it was an American Comedy that no one heard of then they ran a Young Ones parody. I still have the issue in my parents loft.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
e-bay is the place for you .... for valuations and/or selling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here