Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tower Of London - Poppies

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well worth a visit but need to go before the 11th November when they will dismantle and sell the whole installation.

Went today and very poignant.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
The wife and I went up to London for a few days this week and went on Thursday. A true sobering experience and very,very poignant. Lizzie was there placing a wreath within the display. We missed her doing this as we were queuing for tickets.:facepalm: We have ordered one of the poppies and will take great pride in displaying it.
Available online only - http://poppies.hrp.org.uk/

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Going on Wednesday 29th. And if you want to buy one don't leave it too late, they are selling fast. I ordered two last week but it took an hour or so refreshing the website in order to be able to buy. Best part of 750,000 have already been sold, only 888,246 in total, one for each British and Commonwealth soldier who died.

They'll all be sold by the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Here's one of mine from a couple of weeks ago

tower poppies.jpg

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Was going to buy one at the £25 price plus p&p. However, was shocked that only 10% goes to the six charities. It also says plus net profits whatever that means which could be anything after all costs including the artists royalties and manufacturers costs. Therefore, is it really the great charity raiser as promoted. Think it is sadly that charities will now accept a small profit from each sale in their name as it is guaranteed funds.
The special edition plates advertised in Sunday papers are proof of that.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Now they have sold out its only a matter of time until some **** tries to cash in on eBay (if they haven't already)

25 pounds per poppy, 10% of which is 2.50, times 888,246 is 2, 220,000 pounds divided by 6 equals 370,000 pounds per charity.

Significant chunk of money but would have been nice if it was more. Having said that, each poppy is hand made so production costs would have been fairly steep. Plus the Government's 21% VAT.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Myself and Mrs Bobkin went on Thursday too. An amazing display.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Was going to buy one at the £25 price plus p&p. However, was shocked that only 10% goes to the six charities. It also says plus net profits whatever that means which could be anything after all costs including the artists royalties and manufacturers costs. Therefore, is it really the great charity raiser as promoted. Think it is sadly that charities will now accept a small profit from each sale in their name as it is guaranteed funds.
The special edition plates advertised in Sunday papers are proof of that.

To be clear, the artist Paul Cummins will NOT receive any royalties nor income from the sale of these poppies and his company Paul Cummins Ceramics will NOT make any profit from manufacturing them3. The only amounts deducted from the sales income before the balance is passed on to the charities will be the direct costs of manufacturing, transport and installing and VAT.

If any criticism can be made over the finances of this venture it is that the public purse is likely to receive more via VAT than the charities are from the generosity of the public.

I'm looking forward to receiving my poppy.

oh sami sami

Sep 2, 2014
Going on Wednesday 29th. And if you want to buy one don't leave it too late, they are selling fast. I ordered two last week but it took an hour or so refreshing the website in order to be able to buy. Best part of 750,000 have already been sold, only 888,246 in total, one for each British and Commonwealth soldier who died.

They'll all be sold by the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.
Same! I'm going there, then to white Hart lane

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here