Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For the stattos! A sobering outlook.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Here are the finishing positions of all the teams in 20th spot at the end of October for each of the last 14 seasons, not one team has ever made the playoffs from this position over that timeframe with 9th (twice) being the highest finishing spot. We've really got our work cut out to salvage anything from this season with mid table now being a realistic achievement. I'd settle for mid table to be honest!

2013/14 - Birmingham (21st)
12/13 - Charlton (9th)
11/12 - Forest (19th)
10/11 - Hull (11th)
09/10 - Derby (14th)
08/09 - Charlton (24th Relegated)
07/08 - Blackpool (19th)
06/07 - QPR (18th)
05/06 - Norwich (9th)
04/05 - Cardiff (16th)
03/04 - Gillingham (21st)
02/03 - Wimbledon (10th)
01/02 - Gillingham (12th)
00/01 - QPR (23rd Relegated)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
On current form, I'd just settle for avoiding relegation!

However, looking at it more objectively, there were signs at the beginning of the season that we would be OK, and even recent performances – such as against Cardiff – suggest we are better than the table says. A bit of a cliché, but I think there is an element of truth in there.

Probably won't make the play-offs this season, but hey, that's life. There's always next season :shrug:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Alternatively if we win our next two we're definitely not going to be in that position. I am definitely worried right now but to assume we lose our next two is slightly too doom and gloom for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A pointless series of meaningless numbers and names.

Come back when you have a proper overview of the point you're trying to prove, and not some agenda lead dross.

For starters what were the point differentials at the end of October between:-

First and twentieth.
Second and twentieth.
Sixth and twentieth.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
A pointless series of meaningless numbers and names.

Come back when you have a proper overview of the point you're trying to prove, and not some agenda lead dross.

For starters what were the point differentials at the end of October between:-

First and twentieth.
Second and twentieth.
Sixth and twentieth.

Calm down sweetie its just a bit of fun, not trying to prove any point other than provide a snapshot talking point but feel free to fill in those gaps as you are clearly an expert :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Calm down sweetie its just a bit of fun, not trying to prove any point other than provide a snapshot talking point but feel free to fill in those gaps as you are clearly an expert :thumbsup:

That's all fair enough but there's still two games to be played before we reach the end of October.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You never intended those stats to be a bit of fun.
You wanted them to be a sobering outlook of the future.
But they are not complete.

So do the job properly.

For all I know, and care, we are already further behind than the relegated teams.
But give us the facts and stats to make us sober, don't be a half job henry.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
That's all fair enough but there's still two games to be played before we reach the end of October.

Theres only one or two games in it, its just an indication if we are still 20th in 2 games time. Ok lets see where we are in 10 days time and i'll repost just for fun, its not supposed to be a scientific critique or taken too seriously.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
You never intended those stats to be a bit of fun.
You wanted them to be a sobering outlook of the future.
But they are not complete.

So do the job properly.

For all I know, and care, we are already further behind than the relegated teams.
But give us the facts and stats to make us sober, don't be a half job henry.

You want it done, calm down and do it yourself, fill your boots.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
We might be mid-table by the "end of October". Does that mean we can still be play-off candidates?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Any other jobs of yours you want done as well?

Ive got my dining room needs painting, when are you free? Look, your username suggests you like your stats i dont know perhaps you are a professional statistician, im really sorry my OP has offended you so much but be my guest to provide something else to talk about sensei.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ive got my dining room needs painting, when are you free? Look, your username suggests you like your stats i dont know perhaps you are a professional statistician, im really sorry my OP has offended you so much but be my guest to provide something else to talk about sensei.

I found it interesting, being a fully fledged statto. I'd be interested to know, of those that improved, how many removed their manager.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Here's a completely different set of statistics. Here are the managers who got their sides promoted from The Championship in the last three seasons. See if you can spot what 100% of them have in common:

Nigel Worthington
'Arry
Sean Dyche
Dougie Freedman / Ian Holloway
Malky Mackay
Steve Bruce
Brian McDermott
Nigel Adkins
Sam Allerdyce

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here