Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why all the grief for the strikers?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Can we lay off the strikers please.

Seriously can you not see that square pegs will not fit in round holes.

It's happened every season at the Amex, we play one isolated striker, give them no ammo, and then wonder why they don't score goals.

CMS and Baldock are about as much a lone striker as Katie Price is a scientist.

Baldock had one chance yesterday and fluffed his lines. If this was one of ten chances, no one would care. But it was the only proper chance he had. The bloke needs confidence, that will come with goals. One chance a game, is not going to bring that.

Some are calling for target men up front. Leo played that role last season, and it didn't suit him as much as it won't suit CMS or Baldock, or O'Grady or anyone else for that matter.

It would be no different if we had you 6ft 6 giants up front and then played balls in behind the defense for them to run onto. They equally would not be suited to that style.

So please, get off the strikers back. If there is anyone to blame, its the manager, who whilst might be a nice bloke is painfully out of his depth here.

When he came in he said he will suit the style of play to the players he has. That painfully is not happening.

CMS and Baldock will score for fun in this division. All we need to do is supply the Ammo, and until we do they will struggle.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
CMS has missed enough chances in the 3+ years he's been here to receive some stick, he simply isn't good enough I'm afraid. Baldock and COG however are being completely hung out to dry.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Leonardo Ulloa averaged one in two ratio for the same system and was out injured too.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I think Ulloa would struggle in this set up. Felt for Baldock yesterday, he had nothing to work with. Very difficult to say if he is a decent player based on his limited time on the pitch

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Sorry mate but our strikers are simply not good enough - 1 goal from CMS is completely unacceptable from our forward line. Colunga is no better than Rodriguiz from last season. We know that CMS is never good enough at this level and im afraid Baldock doesnt look the answer either, and as for COG well say no more than he's had around 11 clubs already - a lower league journeyman striker. Blame the recruitment of these players which for me lies at Burke's door. We will have to wait till January now i reckon as i cant see us getting anyone decent on loan, but by Xmas we could be in the bottom 3 by then in and in serious problems. For me i would unload CMS, Colunga and COG and try to bring in 2 decent strikers but im not confident.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Until we replace ulloa properly we will struggle . I still think CMS could get goAls as can Baldock but we still need a proper centre forward in the ulloa mould .

Seen enough of colunga now to know he is not any good

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
At the beginning of the first half we had two men in their box. They even managed to go for the same ball and get in each others way.

I though Colunga did quite well in the 13 minutes he was on.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Sorry mate but our strikers are simply not good enough - 1 goal from CMS is completely unacceptable from our forward line. Colunga is no better than Rodriguiz from last season. We know that CMS is never good enough at this level and im afraid Baldock doesnt look the answer either, and as for COG well say no more than he's had around 11 clubs already - a lower league journeyman striker. Blame the recruitment of these players which for me lies at Burke's door. We will have to wait till January now i reckon as i cant see us getting anyone decent on loan, but by Xmas we could be in the bottom 3 by then in and in serious problems. For me i would unload CMS, Colunga and COG and try to bring in 2 decent strikers but im not confident.
So you think its the strikers not being good enough.

Nothing to do with they way we play?

Baldock has ONE chance yesterday, should have done better granted, but for a man low on confidence you can't blame him.

CMS was never good enough? What the same CMS who scored for fun for Peterborough, THe same CMS would was being chased by bigger clubs than us. The same CMS who thrived in a partnership, but struggles, like the other do playing isolated with balls being pumped into his head, whilst surrounded by defenders a foot taller than him.

In a way I could agree that none of them are good enough. Not to play the system we do. But I struggle to think of a striker alive that would thrive at this club at the moment.

But play to the striker strengths, then they are more than good enough for this division.

We may as well go an sign Jack Butland. Not to play in goal, that would be being silly.

We'll play him as the holding midfield. Would make as much sense to me as playing CMS or Baldock up front on there own, and then play floated ball into them.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
So you think its the strikers not being good enough.

Nothing to do with they way we play?

Baldock has ONE chance yesterday, should have done better granted, but for a man low on confidence you can't blame him.

CMS was never good enough? What the same CMS who scored for fun for Peterborough, THe same CMS would was being chased by bigger clubs than us. The same CMS who thrived in a partnership, but struggles, like the other do playing isolated with balls being pumped into his head, whilst surrounded by defenders a foot taller than him.

In a way I could agree that none of them are good enough. Not to play the system we do. But I struggle to think of a striker alive that would thrive at this club at the moment.

But play to the striker strengths, then they are more than good enough for this division.

We may as well go an sign Jack Butland. Not to play in goal, that would be being silly.

We'll play him as the holding midfield. Would make as much sense to me as playing CMS or Baldock up front on there own, and then play floated ball into them.

Lets be honest here its not just about one game , Our strikers have had chances and blew it some of those shots rugby players would be proud off.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
The problem is not the strikers. It's the midfield. We have a group of midfielders that are, when they play well, decent at retaining possession and passing the ball around, but lacking when it comes to the killer ball that breaks down the defence and provides ammo for the forwards. The strikers are feeding on scraps.

patcham lad

Nov 27, 2009
we sell off our best players - we bring in cheap re-placements with no pre-season experiance - then wonder why we are near the relagation zone - albion fans deserve better.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I think Ulloa would struggle in this set up. Felt for Baldock yesterday, he had nothing to work with. Very difficult to say if he is a decent player based on his limited time on the pitch

I thought he scuffed two decent chances yesterday, 1 in each half!
I am not saying he is sh1t, he's certainly low on confidence.
In fact the whole squad seem to be lost.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick

i felt this completely 100% until I served colunga in Tesco. I was sitting down and then stood up to really see if he was as small as he looked from the WSU. holy sh!t is he small. im not tall in the lightest and he was at my shoulder. I used to think that the player simply weren't good enough to fit our sytem, but now it seems our system is not good enough to fit them. cms, baldock, and colunga are all roughly the same size and therefore are no way going to be able to deal with the high balls being floated into them for the whole 90 mins

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
we sell off our best players - we bring in cheap re-placements with no pre-season experiance - then wonder why we are near the relagation zone - albion fans deserve better.

We don't deserve anything. As a Brighton fan you take the rough with the smooth, we have had five good years. We now appear to be on the slide, we could even get relegated but it has to happen to three teams, why shouldn't we be one of them?

Our player recruitment has not been great on what we have seen so far but we are so much better off than we were a few years ago, and we have had a good run in recent years.

Last edited:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
We don't deserve anything. As a Brighton fan you take the rough with the smooth, we have had five good years. We now appear to be on the slide, we could even get relegated but it has to happen to three teams, why shouldn't we be one of them?

Our player recruitment has not been great on what we have seen so far but we are so much better off than we were a few years ago, and we have had a good run in recent years.

Our attendance was 5,000 higher than anyone else yesterday, we DO need to do better

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Baldock and COG however are being completely hung out to dry.

I agree with that. If the ref hadn't blown up early on as Baldock went through, who knows what would have happened. If nothing else it might have been a chance for him to show what he could do. After then, there were a few high balls sent his way that their CBs were always going to mop up. There are some massive expectations on them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Our attendance was 5,000 higher than anyone else yesterday, we DO need to do better

The inevitable downside is the speed at which Albion fans will drift away and only return when we are again at the right end of the table. It was always thus down here. I still maintain season ticket sales will half if we have a bad season and don't do anything exciting transfer wise pre next season. We gained 20,000 fans overnight, we can just as easily lose them...imo.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Surely Tony Bloom deserves better for his £200 million?

I'm getting a little tired of this line. So let's start with the bit that will always bu hanging round our necks. Yes we effed up the Falmer finance. Yes without TB stepping in we'd have no club. Yes without TB our training facilities would be tin pot, though with no club you need no training facilities.

But that's where it ends. what Paul Barber was trying to make painfully clear in his posts via Bozza was that EVERY club owner has to dip in to their pockets to keep things ticking along. You could write exactly the same platitude about Vincent Tan or Tony Fernandes. Would you?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here