Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

25th October, Preston Rock Garden

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Next Saturday, 25th October between 10.30 and 3, we will be holding a bulb planting day.

We have 25,000 Snowdrops, 12,500 early Daffodils and 12,500 late Daffodils....and maybe 5,000 Anemonies to plant in our newly created winter garden.

For those of you who don't know about us, we are one of the largest council run rockeries in Europe. After many years of non investment, we have finally turned the garden into something that im very proud of. We are situated on the western side of the A23 right opposite Preston park.

So if you have a spare bit of time on Saturday, come down and give us a hand. The site is reletively flat but it might get a bit boggy so wear suitable footwear.

All ages welcome, tools, guidance, light refreshments and entertainment will be provided.

This is the third such event we've held and they've all proved very sucessful.

Be good to see you there :thumbsup:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
We need snowdrops,crocuses,bluebells in Queens Park! A few of them wild flower thingies wouldn't go amiss either!

I keep meaning to get along to the Rockery, it always looks fantastically well kept every time I pass on the coach to London. :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Next Saturday, 25th October between 10.30 and 3, we will be holding a bulb planting day.

We have 25,000 Snowdrops, 12,500 early Daffodils and 12,500 late Daffodils....and maybe 5,000 Anemonies to plant in our newly created winter garden.

For those of you who don't know about us, we are one of the largest council run rockeries in Europe. After many years of non investment, we have finally turned the garden into something that im very proud of. We are situated on the western side of the A23 right opposite Preston park.

So if you have a spare bit of time on Saturday, come down and give us a hand. The site is reletively flat but it might get a bit boggy so wear suitable footwear.

All ages welcome, tools, guidance, light refreshments and entertainment will be provided.

This is the third such event we've held and they've all proved very sucessful.

Be good to see you there :thumbsup:

Thats a fair number of bulbs! I'll be working on other peoples gardens and then the footie...but hope you get a nice dry day

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Cool idea. Used to love wandering around there in younger days, going all the way to the back to watch the trains come in and out of the station.

Miss random stuff like this now I live up in London.

Is there a website with recent photos anywhere?

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
If I was closer Jevs I would be down to help, spent many yrs working in Horticulture & Environmental Conservation so I realise how much volunteers are appreciated in jobs like this. Good luck.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Jevs, as you work for the council, you couldn't come and clear our bins please?

Preston rockery is a joy to our city!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
For anyone who fancies this, Jevs tells me that you won't be bent over with a trowel doing back-breaking work. The soil will be dug over the day before, the small bulbs scattered all over it, so it will just be a matter of pushing them in to the soft soil with broom handles or similar. No bending whatsoever!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Just a heads up on this.

Although the weather looks pretty crap on Friday, Saturday is looking much much better so i hope to see some of you at he Rockery.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Thanks TLO. Drove past your garden this week.....i managed to catch sight of some Swiss Chard and lots of other colour too. It looked bloody fab mate

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Thanks TLO. Drove past your garden this week.....i managed to catch sight of some Swiss Chard and lots of other colour too. It looked bloody fab mate

Cheers. Do help yourself to the chard - any or all colours. It needs to be picked.

The Jerusalem artichoke plants blew over in Monday's gales, so we've managed to harvest plenty of tubers. So Monday's wind could well be producing wind for the rest of the week...

The rocket and mizuma also needs picking. Leeks will be ready in a couple of weeks. We have the elephant garlic already planted for next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here