Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tactics

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think we tried to do the right thing, but Middlesbro (like Wednesday) were very disciplined in defence.

http://performance.fourfourtwo.com/tactics/breaking-down-a-team-that-defends-deep

I thought we were taking too many long shots and not trying to get into their penalty area. Also, I thought that in the absence of the departed Buckley and without the injured Bruno we had nobody out wide on the right. So this gives their defence and easy time as it is not stretched. Ideally (I think) our wide player on the right should be pacey as we would then have the option of passing into the empty space on the wing for our one and only playing winger to run on to (if we had one!).

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think we tried to do the right thing, but Middlesbro (like Wednesday) were very disciplined in defence.

http://performance.fourfourtwo.com/tactics/breaking-down-a-team-that-defends-deep

I thought we were taking too many long shots and not trying to get into their penalty area. Also, I thought that in the absence of the departed Buckley and without the injured Bruno we had nobody out wide on the right. So this gives their defence and easy time as it is not stretched. Ideally (I think) our wide player on the right should be pacey as we would then have the option of passing into the empty space on the wing for our one and only playing winger to run on to (if we had one!).

Should have saved all that by just saying we're shit

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
All the time that the tactics are two centre backs and a goalkeeper that is error prone left hopelessly exposed by bad midfield mistakes and misplaced full backs,and the rest of the team playing hopelessly out of position and creating very few clear cut chances (and failing to take those that we do), I think we urgently need new tactics

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Have we got any tactics? Formation looked like 2 (Greer Dunk) -3(Holla JFC Gardner)-2(tex LuaLua)-2( calderon Bennett)-1(Baldock) today which is a bit clueless really. Full backs should be full backs & not wingers as we look ripe for taking down the wings & that's where the goals came from Today. Tactically inept at best, clueless at worst. Something needs to change or relegation beckons.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I love the tactical element of football. But for the life of me I can't understand Samis tactics, unless of course the players are just ignoring him....

Width coming from the fullbacks. Neither of which today had real pace or the ability to beat players. So what exactly are they meant to do?
Cross the ball to the small number 9?

Our centre backs and midfield continually look to play the ball down the line, but even if someone picks it up, then what? Again.. cross it the small guy running around?

Is the tactic meant to be based on playing the ball for Baldock to chase?

It just seems to be KICK THE BALL..... RUN REALLY FAST..... Leave HUGE gaps for the opposition to run into...

I preferred the solid defending, slow burn of Garcia.

seagulls united

Apr 8, 2014
lancing
They are probably better off kicking the ball as high in the air as possible and hope it goes their way it seems to work better for them like that rather than Sami's idea we r not strong enough to play attacking game when our strikers are bloody awful

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
easy to look disciplined when there's no width and no creativity in the middle. yes, there is a nugget of you can see what he's trying, but it aint working. putting your best winger in middle of the park and playing fullbacks up as old school wingers, but apparently with instructions not to pass to them, isnt going to get goals.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Tactics? What, we had some tactics?

I just thought we tippy tappy'd the ball around cluelessly and the were punished by a better organised and a team that wanted it more than us.

Crap performance

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our problem was that we were unable to go over or through the centre of their defence and were not willing trying to go around them, past the fullbacks. Their No 5 Ayala was like a man mountain to us and gobbled up everything that we threw at them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hoofing balls to a tiny forward surrounded by 6 ft 6 defenders is not just shite tactics, it's quite thick. We did it quite a bit today.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Yeah, yeah, nice try, Percy. Try and explain it every way you can, I know the truth.

Official (league) Match threads started by you: 6
Won 0
Drawn 4
Lost 2
For 3
Against 5

You are the reason we can't get a win. Not Sami, not the tactics, not the players, not the lack of atmosphere, or the refs, or our business in the transfer market. It's all down to you.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
When the FBs push up, the midfielders are supposed to slot in. Potentially this is fine if you have the personnel, but we don't.

Both Gardner and JFC are too slow to fill in at FB, and why Hyypia cannot see it, God only knows. The only player who is athletic enough to do it is Ince and he is on the bench most of the time.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think we should take a leaf out of Capello tactics

When the FBs push up, the midfielders are supposed to slot in. Potentially this is fine if you have the personnel, but we don't.

Both Gardner and JFC are too slow to fill in at FB, and why Hyypia cannot see it, God only knows. The only player who is athletic enough to do it is Ince and he is on the bench most of the time.

Good attempt. Back from the pub. Has the Sunderland match been on MOD yet?

Meanwhile, in colloquial terms, I have seen worst SHIT under both Oscar and Poyet.

I think we need a reserve right back: Rob Hunt?

Rohan Ince might be able to play right back?

I don't think Poyet, Oscar or Hyypia have chosen the players they want to fit a system. They all seem like misfits.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Tactics....

http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?289-Albion-v-Middlesbrough-18-10-2014

I'm not going to try to analyse the Albion's tactics, as I'm not sure exactly what they were. I can tell you Middlesborough's though. Itor Karanka's instructions to his team were simple. Pressure hard, and tackle hard - disrupt Brighton's play as much as possible. Sit deep - plenty behind the ball. Break fast. Fair play to them - they are a big strong side, with plenty of nous and a fair bit of quality, and they executed it perfectly.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Of course away teams are going to pack the defence, all they have to wait for is for one of our attacks to break down with the full backs up the field put it out wide and send a few speedy men forward for the sucker punch. It's so predictable and a blue print for all visiting teams.
Our midfield is devoid of any creativity and the system of one lone forward is pants. At least today in the second half he changed to two up front. The trouble is there are no proper wingers, Lua Lua can't cross and was in the midfield more than on the wing and the midfielders don't get in the box and lack creativity, hence Greer having so much of the ball setting up attacks.
Centre backs being the only goal threat should have the coach re examing his tactics.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Good attempt. Back from the pub. Has the Sunderland match been on MOD yet?

Meanwhile, in colloquial terms, I have seen worst SHIT under both Oscar and Poyet.

I think we need a reserve right back: Rob Hunt?

Rohan Ince might be able to play right back?

I don't think Poyet, Oscar or Hyypia have chosen the players they want to fit a system. They all seem like misfits.

Re Ince, slot in when Caldy or Bruno are left halfway up the pitch when we lose possession. Not start at RB.

Have missed one game at The Amex, and I haven't seen anything as bad.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here