Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shots to goals stats

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Some interesting stats here.

In the games we've played so far, we've had 208 shots and 53 on target but have only scored 11 goals - 25% of shots on target and 5% of all shots have hit the back of the net.

By comparison, the opposition have had just 117 shots and 34 on target (56% and 64% of Albion's total) but have scored three more goals.

45% of their shots on target, and 13% overall, resulted in goals.

This confirms that we're creating many more chances than the teams we play but are considerably less clinical. We badly need a decent goalscorer.

Albgoalstats.jpg

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It would be interesting to see how many of our shots are from outside the area though as I can't think of that many clear cut chances we've created.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some interesting stats here.

In the games we've played so far, we've had 208 shots and 53 on target but have only scored 11 goals - 25% of shots on target and 5% of all shots have hit the back of the net.

By comparison, the opposition have had just 117 shots and 34 on target (56% and 64% of Albion's total) but have scored three more goals.

45% of their shots on target, and 13% overall, resulted in goals.

This confirms that we're creating many more chances than the teams we play but are considerably less clinical. We badly need a decent goalscorer.
No it doesn't all it confirms is we are taking a lot of shots.

A pointless leg swing at the ball from 30 yards out isn't a shot at goal, it's just a momentarily exciting way to give up possession.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It would also be good to have a break down by position to see who is actually taking our shots. Most seem to be from our midfielders and it seems very rare that a striker even gets the chance to shoot. How many of the midfielderrs shots are actually on target? not many it seems.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
No it doesn't all it confirms is we are taking a lot of shots.

A pointless leg swing at the ball from 30 yards out isn't a shot at goal, it's just a momentarily exciting way to give up possession.

The shots on target figures are just as bad as the overall shots figures! It's not about taking a swing from 30 yards out (haven't seen much evidence of that in any case). The fact is the opposition are converting a hell of a lot more of their chances than we are.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Sorry to cross-thread but I'd like to see the stats for our goalkeeper's shot to save ratio. I have a feeling that DS will be as disappointed by those stats as I am by his performance in the stripes to date.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The shots on target figures are just as bad as the overall shots figures! It's not about taking a swing from 30 yards out (haven't seen much evidence of that in any case). The fact is the opposition are converting a hell of a lot more of their chances than we are.
wow, we have been watching completely different games.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
The only stat that interests me these days is the final score! We have been overwhelming teams on most of all the other positive stats for the past 3 seasons, all getting too boring now!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
JFC and Kaz both love a dig from distance, true. But anyone still denying that we have League One standard strikers is quite frankly deluding themselves.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Kaz and JFC always have a few digs - but do we really have more shots from range than other teams?

That still doesn't explain the poor shots on target to goals ratio.

Perhaps it might mean that the opposition are creating better chances than us, but the fact remains that we are having a lot of efforts on goal and they are not going in!

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Or, the shots are from stupid distances/angles because the players shoot on site because they are struggling with the formation and lack of options to pass the ball to.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Could also be about the way we play. We like to attack but are not good at converting - other teams happy to sit back and hit us on the counter.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have just checked and we had 16 shots today according to BBC Sport. Makes it sound like we were a bit unlucky but no it turns out that only three were on target. We also had 62 % possession. Boro had 11 shots and three on target. If I hadn't been there I would find it hard to believe just how shit we were from those stats.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
One thing I always liked about Gary Hart playing on the wing was that, though he may not have been a great crosser, he would more often than not win a throw in, corner or free kick when up against a full back. This was useful, especially with the delivery we had from Watson.

One small positive of this year has been a better conversion rate from corners. Perhaps a little bit of Harty's persistence in winning set pieces high up the pitch may be a better approach than the current hopeful punt from a long way out which is giving us a lot of shots on the stats charts, but few real chances.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
One thing I always liked about Gary Hart playing on the wing was that, though he may not have been a great crosser, he would more often than not win a throw in, corner or free kick when up against a full back. This was useful, especially with the delivery we had from Watson. One small positive of this year has been a better conversion rate from corners. Perhaps a little bit of Harty's persistence in winning set pieces high up the pitch may be a better approach than the current hopeful punt from a long way out which is giving us a lot of shots on the stats charts, but few real chances.

That Watto-Zamora combination was something else... That's half the problem now Ulloa's departed, doesn't matter what the service is like if there's no-one capable of scoring at the end of it. I think Kaz does a similar job as Hart in winning us set pieces and you're right about the conversion rate from corners. it's the open play where we're struggling. Personally I just think we need a bit more creativity - if anyone can open up defences it's Paddy McCourt, hopefully we'll see more of him in the next few fixtures (starting place on Tuesday?).

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

You must have done because the opposition have taken about as many pointless leg swings from 30 out as we have, making Kevo's stats a valid comparison.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
You must have done because the opposition have taken about as many pointless leg swings from 30 out as we have, making Kevo's stats a valid comparison.

I honestly can't remember us having loads of wild shots from range - it's true Kaz and JFC always have some, but our opponents must have as many?

The shots on target to goals stat is the one to worry about in any case - that does suggest our finishing is less clinical than other teams'. Either that or it's the fact that keepers have been playing blinders against us, whereas - sad to say - Stockdale hasn't really made a lot of actual saves.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here