Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Boro'

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Not as dire a performance as some would have you believe, but very far from what we need. Boro were not even that good. When will one of our strikers score a goal??

Stockdale 4. We cannot continue to play a goalie who makes mistakes every game.
Calderon 6. Did OK, but I just don’t like the system we’re playing. When they scored their second O’Grady was running back to help out the defence while Calderon was stranded upfield.
Dunk 6. OK.
Greer 5. Must have been overtired from international duty. At fault for giving the ball away leading to first goal. Too many misplaced passes. Decent goal.
Bennett 5. Lost the ball in dangerous positions on too many occasions, but some decent attacking runs in the second half. But he’s a DEFENDER. That’s the nub of the problem.
Holla 5. Decent without making a real mark. Not sure why he was substituted. I would have taken JFC off at H/T.
Gardner 6. One of his best games for us, but most of the time playing RB while Calderon dashed up the field. Why?
JFC 4. Anonymous.
Texeira 6. Was looking good until given a good kicking by the DNB.
KLL 6. Some good, some not so good.
Baldock 5. Has come nowhere near showing why he’s worth £2m. Missed a sitter.
Subs:
McCourt 5. Big weight of expectations on his shoulders. One or two nice runs, one decent shot, but too much of what he tried did not come off.
O’Grady 5. Started off brightly, but faded. Why play him on the wing??
Colunga – no time to rate.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Agree with all of that.

I hope Holla wasn't a tactical withdrawal as agree that JFC should have come off instead. Colunga is no threat whatsoever. Feel sorry for Baldock and O'Grady, especially O'Grady, he gave everything when he came on.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Stockdale 5
Greer 5
Dunk 6
Jfc 5
Bennett 5
Calderon 5
Holla 4
Gardner 5
Lua lua 6
Baldock 4
Tex 4

Colunga 4
Mc court 4
O Grady 5

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
All get a rating of 4 from me except Dunk who was MOM with a 6.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Stockdale 5
Greer 5
Dunk 6
Jfc 5
Bennett 5
Calderon 5
Holla 4
Gardner 5
Lua lua 6
Baldock 4
Tex 4

Colunga 4
Mc court 4
O Grady 5

I think you're being quite generous. i wouldn't have bothered typing all the names out.
I'm normally a cheerful chappy whose glass is, more often than not, half full at least.
Today was the closest I have ever come to leaving a match early.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Stockdale 5 - think Brez may be a better option.
Greer 5 - scored, also gave ball away resulting in their first.
Dunk 7 - usual composure and ball winning.
Calderon 6- did what he was told, but leaves us open to the counter.
Bennett 6 - see Calde
JFC 6
Gardner 6 - nice bit of skill at the end.
KLL 7 - his tracking back and winning the ball back quickly stopped a load of potential counter attacks and probably a couple more goals.
Baldock 5 - missed the only chance he was given
Tex - 5 was successfully targeted from first minute.
McCourt 6 - can't do it on his own.
COG 6 - added a bit of weight and strength to the front line, but was given zero chances in 45 minutes.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
All 3 bar Stockdale and poster boy who get a big fat zero each. Having our curry now and at least it'll get 5 plus.

No, it was dire.

Yep. I thought we were naïve at times and generally feeble throughout. 'Boro looked a decent team imo; classic away performance, caught us early in each half when we gave them the ball. Had they bothered to get out of third gear more often we might have received a more obvious trouncing.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Stockdale 5.5 - First goal primarily Greer's fault, but he should have done more to cut out the cross. Second goal good save, but should have either held on or turned it around the post. He doesn't save enough goals to warrant keeping his place.

Calde 6 - Often in plenty of space in the first half, but not used enough by a team that wants to attack through the middle nearly all the time.

Dunk 7 - Good game

Greer 6 - Poor mistake for first goal, redeemed by his goal and reasonable performance in between.

Bennett 5.5 - Did his best to get forward but final ball often lacking.

Holla 5.5 - Below his usual standard, never really imposed himself on the game.

JFC 6 - Possibly the pick of a poor midfield, but again, he doesn't dominate games - oh how we could do with a Richard Carpenter, Jimmy Case, Danny Wilson, or Brian Horton type player now.

Gardner 5 - Lots of aimless passes. Terrible miss in first few minutes. Doesn't look like a Championship player let alone Premiership

Texeira 6 - Looking like our most dangerous player before being hacked out of the game by Boro. Unfortunately he may lack the strength and physique to cut it in this league - hope I'm wrong.

Paddy 5.5 - One brilliant run followed by the inevitable lack of a finish. Great touch but never really looked as though he was going to change the game.

O'Grady 6 - Gave us some impetus at the start of the second half but never looked like scoring

Lua Lua 6 - One of the few whose head didn't drop after their second goal, but not at his best in the central position. Still most effective on the wing as an impact sub.

Baldock 5 - anonymous, but little service. Missed a good chance in last few minutes

Colunga 5 - Anonymous in the short period he was on

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stockdale 4 How many more points will he cost us.
Calderon 5 OK but not a Bruno
Greer 5 His usual reliable self.
Dunk 5 as per Greer
Bennett 6 Got forward well if only he had a right foot.
Holla 5 Did Nothing special nothing wrong
Texieria 4 Not on long enough to really judge
JFC 5 Usual performance did what was expected.
Gardner 5 Steady game but nothing of note
Lua Lua 5 Chased his own shadow as usual
Baldock 5 Didnt have many chances.
Subs
McCourt 5 Few decrent runs but no end product.
COG 7 MOM when he came on tried to make things happen.
Colunga 5 Did ok but did not make much impressdion.

SH & NJ 3 Team were very poor with no apparent method or direction.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Stockdale 4

Calderon 4
Greer 5
Dunk 5
Bennett 4

Holla 4
Forster-Caskey 6
Gardner 5

Teixera 5
Baldock 4
Lua Lua 5

Subs;

Mccourt 5
O'Grady 5
Colunga 5

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stockdale 5

Calderon 4
Greer 7
Dunk 7
Bennett 6

Holla 6
Forster-Caskey 6
Gardner 7

Teixera 5
Baldock 6
Lua Lua 6

Subs;

Mccourt 7
O'Grady 4
Colunga 8

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Much like the players I can't be arsed so I won't bother giving them anything more that 4s across the board.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Stockdale - 4 - slow off his line, probably should've done better on 2nd
Calderon - 5 - legs beginning to go, faultless effort, but missed Bruno
Bennett - 5 - Badly at fault for the second, diving in. Ok going forward, cannot defend
Greer - 6 unbelievable slice, but other than that arguably one of the better ones
Dunk - 6 given uncomfortable afternoon by the Boro forwards, in terms of movement
Holla - 3 Simply appalling
Gardner - 6 - I think he's dreadful, but today was a better day for him IMO
JFC - 5 - anonymous
KLL - 6 - Worked hard
Tex - 4 - Unfortunate knock, but during the time he was on, same problems, looks good but rarely delivers. Impact sub for me.
Baldock - 5 - clever runs - no service

COG - 5 - tried hard
McCourt - 6 - great on the ball and more likely to deliver than Tex.
Colunga - N/A

Tex - 4 - Nasty blow, always looks good but fails to deliver.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Stockdale. Not to blame for first goal, maybe for second but not inspiring confidence 5
Calde. Seemed to be invisible to the other players. Tried hard but legs going 5
Greer. Goal was payback for mistake for their first goal 5
Dunk. Coped with being given a hard time. Dread to think what would happen without him 8
Bennett. Still good going forward but played out of position 5
Holla. Why was he taken off? 5
Gardener. Didn't notice him much 4
JFC. Better. Be interesting to see what happens as the England lift wears off - that will tell us a lot about SH 7
Tex. kicked out the game, but kicked out far too easily. Lightweight 4
KLL. Tried hard 6
Baldock. Tried hard but played out of position 5

McCourt. Needs longer on the pitch 6
COG. I like him - honest and worked hard for team 6
Colunga. Meh 4

SHs tactics have been totally sussed - just keep your players behind the ball, be physical, and wait for inevitable openings down the channels.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Gardner 6. One of his best games for us, but most of the time playing RB while Calderon dashed up the field. Why?
JFC 4. Anonymous.

Funny as i would have the player ratings the other way around.

Gardner seemed to slow the play down a lot, often passing sideways or backwards rather than to Calde who was often in acres of space in front of him.

JFC worked hard, a lot of play went through him, some good break up play, neat passing in the centre of the pitch as you'd expect from someone playing in MF and just prior to his substitution, i had even made the comment that he was my MOTM upto that point.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Stockdale 5.5 - First goal primarily Greer's fault, but he should have done more to cut out the cross. Second goal good save, but should have either held on or turned it around the post. He doesn't save enough goals to warrant keeping his place.

Calde 6 - Often in plenty of space in the first half, but not used enough by a team that wants to attack through the middle nearly all the time.

Dunk 7 - Good game

Greer 6 - Poor mistake for first goal, redeemed by his goal and reasonable performance in between.

Bennett 5.5 - Did his best to get forward but final ball often lacking.

Holla 5.5 - Below his usual standard, never really imposed himself on the game.

JFC 6 - Possibly the pick of a poor midfield, but again, he doesn't dominate games - oh how we could do with a Richard Carpenter, Jimmy Case, Danny Wilson, or Brian Horton type player now.

Gardner 5 - Lots of aimless passes. Terrible miss in first few minutes. Doesn't look like a Championship player let alone Premiership

Texeira 6 - Looking like our most dangerous player before being hacked out of the game by Boro. Unfortunately he may lack the strength and physique to cut it in this league - hope I'm wrong.

Paddy 5.5 - One brilliant run followed by the inevitable lack of a finish. Great touch but never really looked as though he was going to change the game.

O'Grady 6 - Gave us some impetus at the start of the second half but never looked like scoring

Lua Lua 6 - One of the few whose head didn't drop after their second goal, but not at his best in the central position. Still most effective on the wing as an impact sub.

Baldock 5 - anonymous, but little service. Missed a good chance in last few minutes

Colunga 5 - Anonymous in the short period he was on

Agree with these marks. Although Greer was partially to blame for the first goal, he was sold short by a terrible ball by Gardener who quite frankly is not championship class and by his showings since joining will be offloaded by Villa. Agreed JFC was probably the pick of a poor midfield and just wish he would go forwards instead of sideways and backwards, at least he is always making himself available for the ball. Ince must start the next game he was badly missed today.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm nowhere near the doom mongers and naysayers tonight.

Stockdale 5 Will feel he should have done more with both goals, but very quiet afternoon generally. At least the distribution is good!
Calderon 6 Willing runner and worker, didn't really happen for him in his incredible boots.
Greer 6 His worst game of the season in terms of misplacing passes/general errors - but a good goal and he can't be blamed for players missing.
Dunk 5 Another sloppy back header which nearly cost us a goal, and hit a few out of play. His worst game, but defeat not his fault.
Bennett 6 Neat and tidy, gets forward well. Had problems with Adomah but every left back in the league will have the same problems with him.
Holla 5 Not involved really, a couple of good corners and then a couple of shockers. Not his usual bustling self.
Gardner 6 Scuffed the chance early in the game which would have set us on our way. No significant impact on the game.
Forster-Caskey 7 Honestly don't know what more he needs to do. Neat and tidy, keeps the ball ticking over and adds balance. Massively under-rated.
LuaLua 5 Hiding in a central area as always, his only impact came when he was wider.
Teixiera 6 A couple of nice touches and dribbles but given a damn good kicking.
Baldock 4 Looks a bit like Nicky Forster on the pitch, but doesn't score the goals. Out of his comfort zone in our striker-butchering tactics.

Subs
McCourt 6 Absolute cult LEGEND. Mazy dribbling, slicing the ball out of play for no reason... the man is a class above.
O'Grady 3 The smallest big man in the game. Anyone got Adebayo Akinfenwa's number? SOS.
Colunga 6 Actually looked good when he came on, buzzing around like a good'un.

Aitor Karanka 10 Credit where it is due. He knew how we were going to play, and he had the (no longer) Bearded Adam Clayton crush Kaz out of the game in central positions, and then had Teixeira battered out of the game. Adomah staying high to catch out Bennett also worked like a dream and his centre backs won't have an easier striker to manage all season. They were so much more organised and disciplined today it was almost painful to watch - that's our team from a couple of years ago and they might be equipped to go all the way, considering they've got Kike and Tomlin in tandem all season, unlike our signing of an unfit Ulloa in January to spearhead us to fourth. Middlesbrough will be in the top 2 this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here