Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Those moaning about Oscar's tactics/style of play, what do you think now?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Seems Oscar got it spot on, most of our squad look clueless when attacking. Ulloa had the quality to nick a goal and we were solid defensively. Seems Sami likes to play attacking football but we leak goals frequently and don't have a quality striker who can take easy chances. He either needs to adapt or we need to get rid imo.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Oh Oscar, we can only dream of having him back.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
To be honest, I wasn't too excited by Oscar's style of play.

Would you prefer to see goals and be in a relegation scrap or play more conservatively and challenge for the play offs?

Two wrongs don't make a right - Oscar had a much better squad but wasted it with turgid football and that embarrassment at Derby. Sami has to work without a decent striker and is underpeforming but the blame still lies more at this stage with the squad-building, which is also the responsibility of the board as well as Sami's.

Would you prefer to see goals and be in a relegation scrap or play more conservatively and challenge for the play offs?

You are kidding yourself that Oscar would be challenging for the play offs with the likes of Baldock and Stockdale.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My thoughts at the style of football under Oscar remain. I've enjoyed the football this year. But today's performance was, to use a modern phrase 'Pants'.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No - and I didn't say that. But what I DID say - and stand by - was that I wasn't excited by his style of play. Or, if that's too technical for you - it was boring.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
No - and I didn't say that. But what I DID say - and stand by - was that I wasn't excited by his style of play. Or, if that's too technical for you - it was boring.

And what I'm saying is, if you want to be successful in this division with a lower budget, you generally have to base your game around a tight defence (boring as that may seem) as you can't spend millions on a top quality striker. As we have seen with CMS and now Baldock, you can spend a couple of million on a good league one striker and hope they make the step up, but short of scouting Ulloa for a couple of years, we'll never get a top Championship striker for that money.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not saying anything about success or failure, or buying strikers, top or otherwise. I just found Oscar's style of play very boring. Boring when we lost. Boring when we won. Boring when we drew.

And what I'm saying is, if you want to be successful in this division with a lower budget, you generally have to base your game around a tight defence (boring as that may seem) as you can't spend millions on a top quality striker. As we have seen with CMS and now Baldock, you can spend a couple of million on a good league one striker and hope they make the step up, but short of scouting Ulloa for a couple of years, we'll never get a top Championship striker for that money.

I think Sami also tries to build a tight defence - but Upson, Ward and Thomas K are just better players than what we have now.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think Sami also tries to build a tight defence - but Upson, Ward and Thomas K are just better players than what we have now.

To be honest, I think Dunk has been our best player this season and we haven't really missed Upson, Ward is a bit better than Bennett but only because Bennett seems to get caught out of position going forward too frequently (part of our tactics under Hyypia?). The only major difference is Kuszczak who I would say is markedly better than Stockdale but I can't remember Kuszczak having many outstanding games last season, our defence just restricted teams to few clear cut chances.

To be honest, I think Dunk has been our best player this season and we haven't really missed Upson, Ward is a bit better than Bennett but only because Bennett seems to get caught out of position going forward too frequently (part of our tactics under Hyypia?). The only major difference is Kuszczak who I would say is markedly better than Stockdale but I can't remember Kuszczak having many outstanding games last season, our defence just restricted teams to few clear cut chances.

We haven't missed Upson? Again couldn't disagree more. Dunk was very nervous today and Greer joined in with that in second half. We expect a major clanger a game from either our centre backs or keeper now.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Two wrongs don't make a right - Oscar had a much better squad but wasted it with turgid football and that embarrassment at Derby. Sami has to work without a decent striker and is underpeforming but the blame still lies more at this stage with the squad-building, which is also the responsibility of the board as well as Sami's.

Embarrassed because he lost his two centre backs (that had been key to the best defence in the league). Also, did he have a 'much' better squad? Ulloa certainly (whether he would be a success in a Hyypia team is another question)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I still think his football was dross.

It was. There were any number of home games last season that were boring. Paul Barber rightly talks about the experience of the Amex, but if the game is boring that's the bread and butter.

Sami's team certainly isn't boring, it was an exciting game today which I enjoyed watching and if Gary Gardner hadn't fluffed his chance early on, we'd have been fine. So many knees jerking this evening, it's painful reading on NSC right now, so this is me signing off for the night. We didn't play too badly today, but we can't stick the ball in the net unless we win a header at a corner. It wasn't Oscar's fault we were so poor in front of goal last season, and I don't blame Sami either. The strikers have to take responsibility for putting the ball away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here