Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

russell brand V JOHNNY LYDON ULTIMATE ONLINE FIGHT

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
on Brand saying stop voting

russell brand

"Yeah, they shouldn’t vote, they should – that’s one thing they should do, don’t bother voting. Because when it reaches – there’s a point – see these little valves, these sort of like little cozy little valves of recycling and Prius and like you know turn up somewhere, it stops us reaching the point where you think, "I see, this is enough now." Stop voting. Stop pretending. Wake up. Be in reality now. Time to be in reality now. Why vote? We know it’s not going to make any difference. We know that already."

JOHNNY LYDON

"If you don’t vote, you don’t count. It’s only a century ago that none of us had the right to vote and we don’t want to go back to that route. I’m very wary of tagging my name on to supporting any of those phoney *******s, but don’t be like Russell Brand and bumholes like that."

"the most idiotic thing i have ever heard"

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
team Lydon

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Russell Brand seems to be making the news for the right reasons lately. I haven't quite decided whether it is all just a narcissistic campaign or whether he genuinely is passionate about representing the common good.

Lydon however - completely irrelevant - just a tedious celebrity who seems to do nothing other than adverts and celebrity TV

Brand is certainly intelligent, often thought provoking and quite funny on occasion. Lydon's "Look at me I'm a big sell-out and I'm not afraid to admit it" act has worn thin very quickly but he is absolutely right on this occasion, why should we frit away our democratic right to vote that so many campaigned diligently and some even died for?

The thing that annoys me about Russell Brand is that rather than using his intelligence to engage with the political system (I think he could be a popular and, if he puts his money where his mouth is, a principled politician) he would rather just dismiss it and call for a revolution that is clearly not going to happen.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I don't really like either of them to be honest but Lydon is right on this one.
If you want to contribute to 'change', vote for the party which offers any part of that 'change' you're looking for.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Can someone translate that Russel Brand quote into something that resembles English please :shrug:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Don't have a lot of time for either but in this particular bunfight I'm buttering my rolls with Countrylife.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I don't really like either of them to be honest but Lydon is right on this one.
If you want to contribute to 'change', vote for the party which offers any part of that 'change' you're looking for.

The point is it doesn't matter who we vote for we still get screwed over. Mr Brand for me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can someone translate that Russel Brand quote into something that resembles English please :shrug:
Beats me. It says "online fight" - does that mean he didn't say those words is a crazy ramble, but he actually wrote it down? What a tw@.

I like Lydon even less than Brand, but agree that he's right on this one.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

"im anti-establishment, smash the state" bascially. if it was his stand up you'd laugh along and nod, but off stage its just empty rhetoric of Uni level politics.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The point is it doesn't matter who we vote for we still get screwed over. Mr Brand for me.

vote for someone different then. if apathetic voters got behind a fringe party (dare i say even form one) then that would be noticed. Greens and UKIP have put their causes at the front of politics without actually winning seats, by simply getting their message out consistantly over time. saying "the system is broken, dont particpate or dont try to fix the system" isnt really very helpful.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
vote for someone different then. if apathetic voters got behind a fringe party (dare i say even form one) then that would be noticed. Greens and UKIP have put their causes at the front of politics without actually winning seats, by simply getting their message out consistantly over time. saying "the system is broken, dont particpate or dont try to fix the system" isnt really very helpful.

Again, whoever you vote for they all have the same agenda. I do wonder what would happen if people just stopped voting, how would they decide who was going to promise us the world and deliver us sweet FA?

Dont talk to me about the bloody Greens, they have well and truly messed Brighton up with their 20 mph speed limits and stupid bus lanes that take longer to get anywhere now then it did before they ruined Lewes Rd.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Russell Brand seems to be making the news for the right reasons lately. I haven't quite decided whether it is all just a narcissistic campaign or whether he genuinely is passionate about representing the common good.

Lydon however - completely irrelevant - just a tedious celebrity who seems to do nothing other than adverts and celebrity TV

You have the temerity to be calling someone else tedious?!?!?

I just don't understand how you can be the biggest contrarian on here - you seem diametrically opposed to what everyone sees as normal values on pretty much every thread?!??!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Watching the Ukrainian deaf school mafia drama the other night, there's a scene in which in woodwork class each of the students is taught how to make a hammer. The boy we're following in the most part gets congratulated for his thor-wielding-like gavel, and then runs off that night to batter a stranger on the head with it in one of his shockingly regular muggings. Given the choice to repeat that scene, i would use my hammer on Russell Brand. I find him to be a horrendously unfunny bellend. A majority might feel disconnected from political ongoings led by a whole range of etonians, but that doesn't mean we entirely step away from it or take no interest.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I believe that Russell Brand truly cares, and really wants to see change, but simply not voting just gives politicians free reign to marginalise that section of society. If they aren't voting, the politicians don't need to worry about appeasing them

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I thought he was absolutely spot on in that Paxman video - I have seen quite a few other clips of him since and his idealism does seem to get in the way of realistic, practical solutions though.

However I agree with that Brand quote because he's right about this - it really makes no difference who we vote for. British democracy is a metronome swinging between red and blue, perpetually representing the interests of the corporate elites rather than regular people. Even if the right party came along that would represent us, they would stand no chance against the status quo who have such media control and monetary power and have mastered the art of placating the population through lies and propaganda.

I agree completely that we shouldn't 'frit away' our right to vote, but by accepting this archaic and broken democratic system, we are doing just that. Democracy needs revolutionising, so that it represents the people once again.

Democracy is hardly broken in this country. Our political system is undermined by apathy and the impressionable nature of many voters which allows the media to have such control. I'm not saying that if you agree with a newspaper that makes you a mindless drone but how many of the electorate are swung by which party their paper happens to endorse that year? We blew a good chance to further enhance the fairness of our system when we voted No to the Alternative Vote.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

So am I right in thinking your point is: don't vote, curl up into a ball and hope for the least worse outcome? Because that is exactly what Brand is doing (and has previously done) and fobbed it off as being an act of protest, which everyone with a sound mind laughs at.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here