Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock is going to have a heavy weight of expectation around him

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
when he gets back into the team. CMS has disappointed and is now injured, COG has not had many chances but hasn't got going yet either. If Baldock fails to deliver quite quickly he could get the crowd on his back. We have no other options after Baldock either.

Really hope he hits the ground with a goal when he next plays as it's really not gonna be fair to place enormous expectation on him, but given the lack of alternatives, it's almost inevitable.

Thoughts?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Don't think the crowd would get on his back, the CMS song still gets sung and he is pants.
Whether boos ring out if another draw occurs is another thing though.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Isnt it the same expectation as when he was signed?

ALL the expectation is on him now though isn't it? Before people hoped CMS would come back a better player in a system that suited him. Colunga had a good track record in Spain and much was expected of him. We had no idea that non our strikers would be able to score in League games. Now all the expectation is likely to be on Baldock's shoulders given the position we are in, imo.

I may be wrong and the Amex crowd will give him 5 or so games before getting on his back if he doesn't score. He might well need that sort of time to settle in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone with half a brain would know if there is any heavy weight of expectation it's on the midfield and full backs to provide more than one meaningful chance in the first 90 mins, and a load of panicky flashes across the box in injury time.

Yes I am tired, and yes that does make me grumpy.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Anyone with half a brain would know if there is any heavy weight of expectation it's on the midfield and full backs to provide more than one meaningful chance in the first 90 mins, and a load of panicky flashes across the box in injury time.

Yes I am tired, and yes that does make me grumpy.

Are we talking this season or the previous 3? Maybe all 4 seasons?

I also know that you are only being arsey because I made a slightly disparaging remark about CMS :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are we talking this season or the previous 3? Maybe all 4 seasons?
It doesn't matter who the nippy forward reliant on the 'assist' pass is, what matters is actually getting the pass.

Hopefully the imaginary wall 25 yards out has been taken down.
Perhaps T'shearer has learned to pass.
Maybe we'll stop shooting, pointlessly, from 30 yards.
Who knows crossing to the teammate instead of row z will be prioritised.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
when he gets back into the team. CMS has disappointed and is now injured, COG has not had many chances but hasn't got going yet either. If Baldock fails to deliver quite quickly he could get the crowd on his back. We have no other options after Baldock either.

Really hope he hits the ground with a goal when he next plays as it's really not gonna be fair to place enormous expectation on him, but given the lack of alternatives, it's almost inevitable.

Thoughts?

If I was paid a month what he's paid a month, they'd a be fairly big expectation on me to deliver at work.

If you take the money you have a responsibility to deliver when it matters.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
I expect nothing more of Baldock than to take what chances come to him, created by the rest of the team, as that is his main job, to expect more IMHO is to ask abit much. BHA don't have a Messi so the chances have to be created for him and then he's paid to take them, this is the area that we are failing in, the creating of chances for the forwards and it's nothing new. What we don't want to see is what happened in his last appearance at the Amex when he kept drifting out onto the wings and left no one in the middle. He's our main striker and needs to stay central and let others supply the chances.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It doesn't matter who the nippy forward reliant on the 'assist' pass is, what matters is actually getting the pass.

Hopefully the imaginary wall 25 yards out has been taken down.
Perhaps T'shearer has learned to pass.
Maybe we'll stop shooting, pointlessly, from 30 yards.
Who knows crossing to the teammate instead of row z will be prioritised.

It really does matter. The situation you're referring to has happened on various occasions by his season, unfortunately when CMS is on the end of them the chance of it being converted is pretty slim due to his limited ability.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Is there any more expectation of Baldock than Colunga or O'Grady?

If he's not better we are a bit ****ed, so I certainly have more expectation. I no longer have any expectation of CMS and the jury is still out on COG but my personal expectations are not very high. Colunga may come good but it's not a given and he hasn't impressed so far. That only leaves me with the hope that Baldock is the real deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here