Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time we had a DNA database for everyone in the UK?

DNA database for all?

• Yes.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • No.

Votes: 48 57.1%

• Total voters

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Watched Crime watch last night for the first time in 20 years and was sickened by the evil vile scum that are walking our streets. In Mansfield a woman was walking her dog and was approached by a white local male in his late teens, early twenty's who asked the time, he punched her to the floor then proceeded to give her a good battering then spent 20 minutes.....

That crime was disgusting and rather depressing so switched over but my argument is, why don't we have a national database for all. I mean, when babies are born then their DNA is taken and all immigrants who get given British passports should have their DNA taken too.

I know the bed wetters of the liberal left will be up in arms about human rights just like the Liberal democrats have and not to mention Shami Chakrabarti of Liberty who is against the right minded, law abiding, tax payer because from where I'm sitting it seems criminals have more rights than the good guys-girls.

My argument is that if DNA was taken at birth and from all immigrants that enter our country then we'd be able to solve the crime within 24 hours, we'd know who the suspect is and the culprit be apprehended eventually unlike now where the Mansfield rapist maybe never caught, but if his DNA was taken at birth then he'd be arrested by now.

I know DNA won't stop rapes, murders etc but the suspects would be identified in a day or two and arrested unlike now where such crimes do go unsolved.

If you're a normal law abiding citizen then you haven't anything to fear from having your DNA stored and I wouldn't have an issue with my DNA being taken.

Would you have a problem with this?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Dont have a problem with DNA being taken, however the set up and administration of such a database would (IMO) be exhorbitant and liable to errors. Would the cost asscoiated be worthwhile when, as you say it wont stop the crime from occuring in the first place.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
. Would the cost asscoiated be worthwhile when, as you say it wont stop the crime from occuring in the first place.

To be fair, whilst catching a rapist won't stop THAT rape from having occured, it will presumably stop reoffending?

*unless they are let out on remand to carry on regardless, of course

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I'm already on the existing database. Can't say it bothers me in the slightest. But the idea of it being a compulsory thing for all will upset an awful lot of people (some of them completely law abiding too).

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Dont have a problem with DNA being taken, however the set up and administration of such a database would (IMO) be exhorbitant and liable to errors. Would the cost asscoiated be worthwhile when, as you say it wont stop the crime from occuring in the first place.

It might not stop the crime being committed but it'll make sure the victim sees justice unlike the situation we find ourselves in now where so many crimes go unsolved.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To be fair, whilst catching a rapist won't stop THAT rape from having occured, it will presumably stop reoffending?

*unless they are let out on remand to carry on regardless, of course

Is that the one in which Sid James runs a taxi firm?

My concerns are:

1: The costs of running the scheme will be high, that money has to come from elsewhere in the public purse. The total ****up of some of large tenders for government contracts indicates that all governments, regardless of to which party you align your colours, is USELESS at managing the public purse in issues of this nature.

2: It involves trusting the government and authorities, recent allegations about high level interference in investigations, mysterious 'disappearances' of files, souped up dossiers to justify wars and some of the comments coming from the Hillsborough inquiry suggest we cannot rely on government to act honestly unless it is in their, not our, best interests to do so.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I have no faith that the database would be secure or that mistakes / manipulation would not occur.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It might not stop the crime being committed but it'll make sure the victim sees justice unlike the situation we find ourselves in now where so many crimes go unsolved.

What happens if the crim legs it?

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I don't have a problem with mine being taken, but the fact is that it can be abused. Not to mention that if someone in the wrong hands got hold of it...

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I don't have a problem with mine being taken, but the fact is that it can be abused. Not to mention that if someone in the wrong hands got hold of it...

There is of course an existing database, featuring everybody convicted of a crime after a certain point in history (can't remember the date), amongst others (technically it was everybody arrested for a recordable offence, but some of these are now being removed on request). I'm not aware of any "wrong hands" getting hold of this data thus far. Though perhaps a national, compulsory database would be more likely to be targeted by hackers than the current one.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't care.

I have no intention of raping anyone, killing anyone or other such activities so why would it bother me?

I have voted yes but it does have it's pro's and cons, as regards crime it is an excellent idea. It could have huge benefits in terms of health too as genetic markers will indicate if someone is susceptible to certain illness's and conditions. However, I would feel uneasy if the Insurance industry got access to the database as some peoples life insurance would go through the roof and some might not be offered cover at all.

Given that the insurance industry already makes money without DNA results currently, imagine the pound signs in their eyes if they knew they could get access.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure what you think they might do with it?

They might CLONE him.

And then use the CLONE to impersonate him, stealing his money, defrauding his family and friends - maybe even SLEEPING with his unsuspecting wife.

You never thought of THAT, eh?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
There's a small part of me that wants to un-ban Hybrid_x just for this one thread.

I really want to see where he takes this universal DNA database idea.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
DNA is not 100% reliable on a population level, and only places someone as being at the scene of a crime. it does not prove they commited a crime. it can be quite easy for a criminal to be careful about leaving DNA evidence while someone innocent isnt, and subseqently falsely accused. or convicted, on nothing more than chance encounter at a scene prior to a crime.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here