Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone got a BT8500 Advanced Call Blocker phone?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
We are being plagued by nuisance calls (PPI;Insulation; Investments etc) on our land line. We have registered with the Telephone preference sevice but most of these calls originate International so are not relevant to this service. BT are advertising this phone as the answer to our problem. If anyone has one does it really stop these calls?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
To cure this problem I had a look at the BT8500. Brought a Binatone 3850 single,with answer phone. It works because it has caller display built in, says out of area (India?) all the rest are funny numbers that start with 00 or 0846.
Works for me, cheaper than the BT one, which you have to pay extra for caller display.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We are being plagued by nuisance calls (PPI;Insulation; Investments etc) on our land line. We have registered with the Telephone preference sevice but most of these calls originate International so are not relevant to this service. BT are advertising this phone as the answer to our problem. If anyone has one does it really stop these calls?

The TPS is pointless now, it's pretty much a joke. As for the calls from abroad claiming to be Microsoft, why don't the Police take a call, string them along, trace back the number and get their Indian colleagues to make arrests and shut them down ?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
To cure this problem I had a look at the BT8500. Brought a Binatone 3850 single,with answer phone. It works because it has caller display built in, says out of area (India?) all the rest are funny numbers that start with 00 or 0846.
Works for me, cheaper than the BT one, which you have to pay extra for caller display.

Thanks for that but we want the calls to blocked so the phone does not ring.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Try going ex-directory - seems to work for me.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
We've had one for a while, options to block withheld and/or international calls. Works a treat. Also options to allow certain numbers thru even if blocked.
Downside, realised that no one other than these type of calls ever rings us on landline. Could just unplug phone for same effect now. (use mobile for everything these days)

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
We've had one for a while, options to block withheld and/or international calls. Works a treat. Also options to allow certain numbers thru even if blocked.
Downside, realised that no one other than these type of calls ever rings us on landline. Could just unplug phone for same effect now. (use mobile for everything these days)

Our family seem to prefer landline as they are all on no cost phone call deals!

D

Deleted member 22389

I recently moved so we got a new number. We made the point not to give our number away to any companies, offline or online. Guess what we have been here 5 months now and not had one single sales call. If I do get a sales call I will then have a case against the company because I will then find out who gave our number away. These sales calls are the biggest nuisance of all. So the solution change your number.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I recently moved so we got a new number. We made the point not to give our number away to any companies, offline or online. Guess what we have been here 5 months now and not had one single sales call. If I do get a sales call I will then have a case against the company because I will then find out who gave our number away. These sales calls are the biggest nuisance of all. So the solution change your number.

Indeed, got a new number 10 years ago and it only ever rings for friends, family or an Asian lady from Hove that misdials twice every year and says sorry instantly.
Having the same mobile number for 18 years has meant there has no need to ever give to any business/company another number when there is always one available more reliably...simply write the mobile in home & work & mobile on forms & if questioned say you don't have a landline!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I have a free SIP number from Sipgate.co.uk. It's a geographic number 01323888xxx and it's set to go straight to voicemail, whenever a voicemail is left it emails me a WAV file. I give that to anyone who asks for a phone number.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
An update. Had this phone for a week and it's blocked all our unwanted calls. It shows who has been blocked but the phone does not ring. We were getting 5 or 6 unwanted calls a day but that has now dropped to 1 so hopefully it will soon be zero. Friends and family plus legit calls all getting through ok.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I also recieve many cold calls to our landline.
For the last one I answered the phone with an abrupt YES.
The lady cold caller said 'oh is this a business?'
Slightly surprised by the question I answered with the same YES, and she apologised and hung up.
I'm not sure whether it will make the slightest difference to future calls, but this is how I will answer the landline from now on!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
£34 is a rip off for a cordless phone. Both BT and Virgin should look after there customers and offer these handsets a lot cheaper.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here