Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hyypia dismisses Boro bogey record [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion boss Sami Hyypia has brushed aside the club's Boro hoodoo.
The upbeat Finn sees tomorrow's visit of Middlesbrough as a chance for his side to demonstrate their credentials against one of the top teams in the Championship.
Boro have won on their last two trips to the Amex and drew the first.
Albion have not beaten them at home for 24 years, a run of six games stretching back to a 1-0 victory in the old Second Division in 1990.

Former Bayer Leverkusen manager Hyypia said: "I didn't know that and I don't really care about statistics about what has happened.
"Two years ago we went to play Munich and Leverkusen hadn't won there for 25 or 30 years.
"People were asking before the game how I was feeling about not having won for ages there.
"I said statistics are not important for me, what you do on the pitch on the day is the most important thing, and we won 2-1. Statistics are there to be broken."
Boro are fifth, 14 places and nine points above Albion. Their only defeat in the last seven matches was their incredible exit from the Capital One Cup, 14-13 on penalties against Hyypia's old club Liverpool at Anfield.
They have not been beaten on their travels in the league since their opening away game at Leeds in mid-August.
Hyypia said: "They are a good team. I think everyone expected them to be thereabouts.
"It doesn't worry me to play against good teams. It's a good challenge and a chance for us to show that we can be better than the best teams in this league. I look at it as another opportunity to show what we can do."
Albion return to action against Boro after an international break which Hyypia could have done without.
"Last week was not a struggle but a strange week," he said. "When you analyse recent games we haven't got a lot to work on.
"Of course, we all know goalscoring is a little bit difficult at the moment, so hopefully that improves.
"Other things I think we are doing okay. Sometimes when you have an international break and you have big problems with something you work on them and hope in the next game it will be better.
"We haven't got a lot of problems, so we had maybe more time on our hands than we needed. That made it a little bit strange.
"It would have been easier if we had been playing badly and didn't get results. You would have maybe a clearer picture of what you need to change, a radical change in training or something.
"But I believe in what we are doing and I have a lot of faith in the players that we will start to score goals from the chances we have."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here