Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Mitchell - The Bone Clocks

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
This book has got me back into reading. I have been lazily watching film and TV progs on my daily commute but decided to give this book a go as I loved all of DM's previous books. OMG, what a book. It's not an easy read - the story jumps all over the place - but it utterly rewards those who stick with it. Truly amazing, let's hope they make a film.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
This book has got me back into reading. I have been lazily watching film and TV progs on my daily commute but decided to give this book a go as I loved all of DM's previous books. OMG, what a book. It's not an easy read - the story jumps all over the place - but it utterly rewards those who stick with it. Truly amazing, let's hope they make a film.

Don't understand why you'd want to see a great book as a film. They never come close.

Is this his latest? I have only read The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet which I enjoyed but wasn't blown away by. Been meaning to try out another.
Couple of my friends used to work with him, he's done very well.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Don't understand why you'd want to see a great book as a film. They never come close.

Ever read Mario Puzo's 'The Godfather'? Terrible book, absolutely woeful. Coppola transformed something inexecrable into something quite magical.

Talking of books, I have set myself the challenge of reading all 6 Man Booker Prize shortlisted books this year. I've read 3 so far: J by Howard Jacobson, To Rise Again At A Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris and the winner The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan. I've hit a wall with the 4th one, the Indian novel 'The Lives Of Others' because as with every Indian novel I've ever read, it is really difficult to get through because it's overlong, all the characters are two-dimensional and there's little empathy with any of them, the plot takes so long to get going because it get's bogged down in the minutiae of Indian manners and class. And no-one ever has any fun. I may just pass on that and get cracking with the other two.

Of the ones I've read, the winner by Richard Flanagan is a classic Man Booker Prize novel. Lots of gazing into the distance and suppressed emotions. He writes very much like William Trevor or Anita Brookner. Joshua Ferris's novel is funny, very funny at the beginning but then becomes one big Jewish comedy sketch. Howard Jacobson's 'J' is an incredible story, very Brave New World and a very clever plot. Sadly, all 3 stories I've read so far have weak endings compared with very strong starts. They all seem to peter out to nothing.

Last edited:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Ever read Mario Puzo's 'The Godfather'? Terrible book, absolutely woeful. Coppola transformed something inexecrable into something quite magical.
I haven't no. The exception that proves the rule? ;)
The only time I can think I enjoyed a movie more than the books its based on was that Nick Hornby one about the anal music guy. The book was alright, but thought it translated better as a movie.

I've been reading quite a bit recently and have read some good stuff, but it's been a while since I read something that really blew me away. Best thing I read in a while was Ian McEwan's Solar. Really enjoyed that.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
that Nick Hornby one about the anal music guy.

High (Hi?) Fidelity

I've been reading quite a bit recently and have read some good stuff, but it's been a while since I read something that really blew me away. Best thing I read in a while was Ian McEwan's Solar. Really enjoyed that.

I think that Where Eagles Dare is a better film than the book...

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Talking of books, I have set myself the challenge of reading all 6 Man Booker Prize shortlisted books this year. I've read 3 so far: J by Howard Jacobson, To Rise Again At A Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris and the winner The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan. I've hit a wall with the 4th one, the Indian novel 'The Lives Of Others' because as with every Indian novel I've ever read, it is really difficult to get through because it's overlong, all the characters are two-dimensional and there's little empathy with any of them, the plot takes so long to get going because it get's bogged down in the minutiae of Indian manners and class. And no-one ever has any fun. I may just pass on that and get cracking with the other two.

Of the ones I've read, the winner by Richard Flanagan is a classic Man Booker Prize novel. Lots of gazing into the distance and suppressed emotions. He writes very much like William Trevor or Anita Brookner. Joshua Ferris's novel is funny, very funny at the beginning but then becomes one big Jewish comedy sketch. Howard Jacobson's 'J' is an incredible story, very Brave New World and a very clever plot. Sadly, all 3 stories I've read so far have weak endings compared with very strong starts. They all seem to peter out to nothing.

Yeah but the original comment was why would you want to see a great book as a film because they nevercome close. If the book is mediocre thenthe film has a good shot at being better.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Is this the same David Mitchell that has married the most beautiful woman on the planet in Victoria Coren??

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So great books don't make great films, but the odd crap book might.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003

Is this his latest? I have only read The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet which I enjoyed but wasn't blown away by. Been meaning to try out another.
Couple of my friends used to work with him, he's done very well.

Cloud Atlas is wonderful, and not a bad film either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here