Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal in for Virgil van Dijk

Dec 29, 2011
Thought we should have paid up at the time. Exactly what we needed, 6"4, very young and good with the ball at his feet. Admittedly £2.5m is a lot for a Championship defender but I thought Bloom would have wanted to invest his money in this chap as his future sell on fee could have been substantial.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He had the choice, and chose Celtic ahead of the Albion.

They could offer him guaranteed medals, playing in front of 50,000 a week, and a chance to play in the Champions League. We couldn't.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Lewis Grabban. I'm not sure Virgil would have come anyway would he?

I think it was well documented at the time that he wanted to come. Celtic came in sometime later. A bit like Steven Ward, a little less pussy footing around, and a slight increase to the fee and we could have secured his services. Could have potentially been sat on a 10 million pound player now.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think it was well documented at the time that he wanted to come. Celtic came in sometime later. A bit like Steven Ward, a little less pussy footing around, and a slight increase to the fee and we could have secured his services. Could have potentially been sat on a 10 million pound player now.

Well documented? I don't recall any such comments from him or his agent. Could you direct me to anywhere in which he showed a desire to come to the Albion?

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Well documented? I don't recall any such comments from him or his agent. Could you direct me to anywhere in which he showed a desire to come to the Albion?

Not really, I have neither the time or inclination.

I just recall the sounds coming from his agent at the time were should an agreement be reached between the clubs then it was a done deal.

I stand corrected if wrong however I'm sure those with a better memory then me will substantiate this.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

There was a general consensus in the press that we could have got the player for another £500-750k.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
You're basing your entire thought process on one news report?

:lolol: No, I messed that post up. There should also be an article about Groningen not wanting to sell because of their relegation worries. Off to work now, so you will just have to live with my 'entire thought process' as is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He had the choice, and chose Celtic ahead of the Albion.

They could offer him guaranteed medals, playing in front of 50,000 a week, and a chance to play in the Champions League. We couldn't.
This does make me laugh.

Last season VVD put in good performances against Barca, Ajax and AC Milan.
He went on to command a one team, pony division.
Unsurprisingly he is now interesting scouts.

Would he have got the same interest after Barnsley away?
Would he have got the same armchair ride round an 'easy' division?
Would he have been allowed to thunder in free kicks?
Would he have been slagged off on here for being shitehouse?

Answers on a postcard please.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

We tried to buy him in the January window, but Groningen wouldn't sell him as they had a relegation battle on their hands. They put a ridiculous price tag on him at that point.
Celtic came in for him in the summer, but Gus had been sacked by then.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here