Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jake Forster-Caskey and the Under21 finals

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Long way to go yet, and the big club managers may well have a lot to say themselves - but already you're starting to see some of these senior England players who are eligible 'making themselves available' for the finals in the Czech Republic next summer. Sterling and the Ox so far.

To be fair it is a valid debate as it should improve the side - and some of the journalists who only cover the Premier League are already whipping it up, demanding the big names come back despite having played little or no part in qualification and the others all get cast aside.

And it is going to especially tough on the existing midfielders if they do - with potentially Wilshere, Ward-Prowse, Sterling, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Barkley all in the frame to drop back down again.

JFC was singled out for particular praise by Gareth Southgate during the play-off v Croatia, so it would be gutting for him if he lost out now after just breaking in.

Be interesting to hear what he has to say about Jack Wilshere potentially grabbing his starting spot, I imagine we'll hear the first time he does any media this week or Saturday. A good tournament could be great for his development, and as an added bonus even increase his value in the transfer market if that day should ever arrive.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've been considering this too. Southgate has promised to be loyal to those who qualified though.

Ward-Prowse is fair enough though - he played in the u21s this campaign.

And you want them to do well too. It's a quandary.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'd take a couple of them but wouldn't chase too much. JFC deserves his place.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Have to say, if JFC does look like playing that could be a decent little trip in June. Czech beer in a Prague square followed by watching an Albion player featuring in a decent England side...and probably little or no hassle getting tickets. What's not to like.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It would be counterproductive to parachute in the 1st XI squad players for the finals. I like the side Southgate has put together, I've got a lot of time for Harry Kane, Berahino, Hughes plus Jake and I fancy Southgate is a man of honour and will fight his corner. I think the England side in 5 years time will be considerably better than the one we have presently.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It would be counterproductive to parachute in the 1st XI squad players for the finals. I like the side Southgate has put together, I've got a lot of time for Harry Kane, Berahino, Hughes plus Jake and I fancy Southgate is a man of honour and will fight his corner. I think the England side in 5 years time will be considerably better than the one we have presently.

A couple of the very young ones - Stirling and Barkley, probably - who have only played a few senior games, fair enough. They'll add quality and lift the squad.

Not players like Wilshere and Oxlade Chamberlain who have been senior internationals for years.

Stumpy Tim

Take your best squad every time. It's all very easy & nice to say stick with the squad who made it, but the U21's are meant to be a feeding ground for the full England squad. I ask myself how many of this U21 squad will be England regulars, and suggest a handful. What's the point for England in taking a player who is never likely to make a World Cup or Euro squad? Just to make it clear, I'm not saying JFC will or will not become an England player - I'm being general.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Although I would love to see JFC go, it would be great to see some full internationals get some tournament practice.
Unless injured, Southgate should pick the best players he can without club managers interfering.
If a player is picked who is already a full international and does not feel up to playing in the tournament, they should be free to say no, but it should be the players decision and no one else should put pressure on them to pick either way.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
If Sterling was deemed too tired to play for the seniors last week he`s hardly going to go the under 21s finals is he?
You could make a point for Barkley but would be surprised if Sterling went.

I`m sure JFC will go, it`s whether he gets a starting place.
Let`s hope so.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
This is an ideal opportunity for players to learn about tournament football, we should send the best squad we can and try and win it. If the likes of Sterling, Wilshire, Ox etc.. get a winning mentality in an England shirt this can only be positive for the full squad.

Far too many times we have sent players to major championship with no tournament experience.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can genuinely see both sides of this one - and in a way, Southgate himself is in a no-lose position. If he gets the quality extra players, he probably has a better chance of winning the tournament, as long as they don't upset the group dynamic. And if he doesn't, he knows he already has a good team and can say 'I'm letting the lads who got us there try and win it'. There are worse situations to find yourself in.

On Stumpy's point about the U21s being a feeding ground for the senior squad, I don't think that's relevant here on the 'stepping back down' issue because the players we're talking about have done their feeding already, and have been in the senior squad and played regularly in the Prem Lg. Where those players are concerned, this is purely about a better chance of winning it, which is probably a good enough reason on its own.

Almost more than JFC it would be disappointing not to see Derby's Will Hughes at a tournament like this, because I think he WILL play for England seniors, and therefore I would not like to see him as one of the midfielders sacrificed.

But overall the midfield is looking very good with the youngsters, and as Pavilionaire said it is hard to see the England team in five years not being better than the current one.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can genuinely see both sides of this one - and in a way, Southgate himself is in a no-lose position. If he gets the quality extra players, he probably has a better chance of winning the tournament, as long as they don't upset the group dynamic. And if he doesn't, he knows he already has a good team and can say 'I'm letting the lads who got us there try and win it'. There are worse situations to find yourself in.

On Stumpy's point about the U21s being a feeding ground for the senior squad, I don't think that's relevant here on the 'stepping back down' issue because the players we're talking about have done their feeding already, and have been in the senior squad and played regularly in the Prem Lg. Where those players are concerned, this is purely about a better chance of winning it, which is probably a good enough reason on its own.

Almost more than JFC it would be disappointing not to see Derby's Will Hughes at a tournament like this, because I think he WILL play for England seniors, and therefore I would not like to see him as one of the midfielders sacrificed.

But overall the midfield is looking very good with the youngsters, and as Pavilionaire said it is hard to see the England team in five years not being better than the current one.

I agree, but feel for the youngsters like JFC, who have played well to qualify, to then be dumped for the more experienced players. I also wonder if those more experienced would be as hungry for success as the 'lesser' ones.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Play the best team possible. Isn't that what every team should always be doing?

If we do well - or even, miracle of miracles - win this tournament, with half the team going on to play in the European Cup finals, and then the next world cup, how useful the experience of tournament football will be. Of course you'll have to feel sorry for JFC and other lads who may miss out - but that's life.

Stumpy Tim

You can never have enough tournament experience. Just because Sterling has had one World Cup that lasted three games, it doesn't mean he's well-experienced in tournament football. We need these guys experienced in actually going deep into these tournaments & the extra pressure that brings.

dan4bha

Mar 27, 2014
The positivity the English game could take from doing well in an International tournament could be massive, particularly after the senior WC disappointment and with the stick that the younger teams have had lately.

Can only see us really achieving at that level, if our best players play.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What if we take our best squad and they're still crap?

Seriously though I'm with HKFC, take the real young ones (Barkley, Shaw, Stones, Sterling) and leave the established internationals alone. Wilshere won't be fit anyway so we don't need to worry about him!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here