Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Jake Forster-Caskey and the Under21 finals

1 Not allowed!
    Long way to go yet, and the big club managers may well have a lot to say themselves - but already you're starting to see some of these senior England players who are eligible 'making themselves available' for the finals in the Czech Republic next summer. Sterling and the Ox so far.

To be fair it is a valid debate as it should improve the side - and some of the journalists who only cover the Premier League are already whipping it up, demanding the big names come back despite having played little or no part in qualification and the others all get cast aside.

And it is going to especially tough on the existing midfielders if they do - with potentially Wilshere, Ward-Prowse, Sterling, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Barkley all in the frame to drop back down again.

JFC was singled out for particular praise by Gareth Southgate during the play-off v Croatia, so it would be gutting for him if he lost out now after just breaking in.

Be interesting to hear what he has to say about Jack Wilshere potentially grabbing his starting spot, I imagine we'll hear the first time he does any media this week or Saturday. A good tournament could be great for his development, and as an added bonus even increase his value in the transfer market if that day should ever arrive.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I've been considering this too. Southgate has promised to be loyal to those who qualified though.

Ward-Prowse is fair enough though - he played in the u21s this campaign.

And you want them to do well too. It's a quandary.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.
      VERY part time moderator Giraffe's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I'd take a couple of them but wouldn't chase too much. JFC deserves his place.

1 Not allowed!
      Have to say, if JFC does look like playing that could be a decent little trip in June. Czech beer in a Prague square followed by watching an Albion player featuring in a decent England side...and probably little or no hassle getting tickets. What's not to like.

1 Not allowed!
      It would be counterproductive to parachute in the 1st XI squad players for the finals. I like the side Southgate has put together, I've got a lot of time for Harry Kane, Berahino, Hughes plus Jake and I fancy Southgate is a man of honour and will fight his corner. I think the England side in 5 years time will be considerably better than the one we have presently.
      "Still a long way short of a batting bonus point "

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It would be counterproductive to parachute in the 1st XI squad players for the finals. I like the side Southgate has put together, I've got a lot of time for Harry Kane, Berahino, Hughes plus Jake and I fancy Southgate is a man of honour and will fight his corner. I think the England side in 5 years time will be considerably better than the one we have presently.
      A couple of the very young ones - Stirling and Barkley, probably - who have only played a few senior games, fair enough. They'll add quality and lift the squad.

Not players like Wilshere and Oxlade Chamberlain who have been senior internationals for years.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Take your best squad every time. It's all very easy & nice to say stick with the squad who made it, but the U21's are meant to be a feeding ground for the full England squad. I ask myself how many of this U21 squad will be England regulars, and suggest a handful. What's the point for England in taking a player who is never likely to make a World Cup or Euro squad? Just to make it clear, I'm not saying JFC will or will not become an England player - I'm being general.
      First REMF goalscorer - EVER

0 Not allowed!
      Can anyone suggest the best XI we could take to an under 21 final?

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GingerBeerMan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Can anyone suggest the best XI we could take to an under 21 final?
      It would be something like:

Butland

Stones Moore Chambers Shaw

Stirling Oxlade-C Wilshere Redmond

Berahino Barkley
      Whale Oil Beef Hooked

0 Not allowed!
      Although I would love to see JFC go, it would be great to see some full internationals get some tournament practice.
      Unless injured, Southgate should pick the best players he can without club managers interfering.
      If a player is picked who is already a full international and does not feel up to playing in the tournament, they should be free to say no, but it should be the players decision and no one else should put pressure on them to pick either way.
      Meh!