Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Junk Mail

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
This morning I received yet another invitation to join Virgin Media. I think we get one about every week/two weeks. I wish I'd collected them all and sent them back undelivered in a huge parcel. I could have collected 100+ pieces of mail in the last two years. They must have spent quite a bit of cash in their pursuit of our custom.

Does anyone have any cunning ploys in getting their own back on serial mail box bullies ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I get at least one a week from Barclaycard. They annoy me immensely. Them and my local pizza emporium. I shan't give them further free advertising by naming them.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've moved home three times in the last 9 months. Until yesterday I'd not told a single organisation about my most recent change of address and, as such, I've not received a single item of post.

So my suggestion is this:

1. Move home
2. Don't tell anyone

(One flaw in my cunning plan became apparent yesterday when I realised my main credit card was about to lapse and my new card had been sent to an old address. In order to remedy this my card had to be treated as lost/stolen and cancelled. I now have to wait 7-10 days for a new one to come.)

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Junk Mail is neither here nor there to me, just someone trying to sell their wares. If it's electronic I put it into Spam, if it's paper then goes into the bin.
Stress free.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Junk Mail is neither here nor there to me, just someone trying to sell their wares. If it's electronic I put it into Spam, if it's paper then goes into the bin.
Stress free.

Oh, I agree, but Virgin really do wind my clock. I think I should start collecting them for a massive 'return to sender'.

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
This morning I received yet another invitation to join Virgin Media. I think we get one about every week/two weeks. I wish I'd collected them all and sent them back undelivered in a huge parcel. I could have collected 100+ pieces of mail in the last two years. They must have spent quite a bit of cash in their pursuit of our custom.

Does anyone have any cunning ploys in getting their own back on serial mail box bullies ?

Yep get the Virgin invites all the time, even though I already am a customer and have all three packages (phone, BB and TV).

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
It is possible to opt out of the unaddressed crap the poor old posites have to shove through your letter boxes once a week or whatever it is. Royal Mail deliberately make the process cumbersome - Go to the post office or apply for a form, fill out a form, (in 2014!). They will write back to you 'warning' you may miss out on 'special offers' and 'important announcements' from the council (You won't). RM wouldn't dare have a facility for opting out online. That would be too easy. They claim the process of using paper forms is for 'security reasons' Well, as we all know, there are shady organisations at work who would wish to deny you your right to pizza and broadband offers, right? (ie RM bullshit) As mentioned, RM don't want YOU opting out, so they make you jump through hoops.

The link below will assist in stopping the flow of junk.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/h...-leaflets-or-unaddressed-promotional-material

Within two months (yes that long), you should stop getting 'fantastic' offers from pizza companies, telephone and cable suppliers, double glazing fitters and anyone else who wants to bombard you with their firestarter and hamster cage material.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
BT do the same scattergun approach, even if you've already got their broadband package.

I have a friend who lives in a rural area of East Sussex that has no mains gas supply. Guess which utility company bombarded him recently offering him the chance to join up on a special intro tariff?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Hope this helps :cheers:
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

also mobiles too
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

It is possible to opt out of the unaddressed crap the poor old posites have to shove through your letter boxes once a week or whatever it is. Royal Mail deliberately make the process cumbersome -

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/h...-leaflets-or-unaddressed-promotional-material

Within two months (yes that long), you should stop getting 'fantastic' offers from pizza companies, telephone and cable suppliers, double glazing fitters and anyone else who wants to bombard you with their firestarter and hamster cage material.

The poor old postie is employed by Royal Mail, Royal Mail make a very large amount of money from having their poor old posties deliver these "door drops"

Opt out all you want, but don't complain when the poor old posties start going on strike because there isn't enough revenue to keep them all of them employed, they are now a company with shareholders, the shareholders will require their dividends.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have bought a shredder and shred all the stuff like that and use it as cat litter
rather appropriate don't you think

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
The poor old postie is employed by Royal Mail, Royal Mail make a very large amount of money from having their poor old posties deliver these "door drops"

Opt out all you want, but don't complain when the poor old posties start going on strike because there isn't enough revenue to keep them all of them employed, they are now a company with shareholders, the shareholders will require their dividends.
Don't worry about that.
They are trimming the workforce to the bone for profit and the ones that are left are like packhorses delivering not only their own round but also the rounds that are now without a postman and delivering up to 6 bits of junkmail each week for the RM profits

Don't worry about that.
They are trimming the workforce to the bone for profit and the ones that are left are like packhorses delivering not only their own round but also the rounds that are now without a postman and delivering up to 6 bits of junkmail each week for the RM profits

Or, and far more likely, they are getting rid of the "Job and knock" culture.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I've moved home three times in the last 9 months. Until yesterday I'd not told a single organisation about my most recent change of address and, as such, I've not received a single item of post.

So my suggestion is this:

1. Move home
2. Don't tell anyone

(One flaw in my cunning plan became apparent yesterday when I realised my main credit card was about to lapse and my new card had been sent to an old address. In order to remedy this my card had to be treated as lost/stolen and cancelled. I now have to wait 7-10 days for a new one to come.)

And before your card arrives your credit card company will have updated your new address, told one credit reference agency who will tell the other two of the link from your old to new address and happily respond to anyone that has a right to ask informing them of your new live address

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Don't worry about that.

The posties actually do get paid extra for delivering door to door items.

Yes, RM does make money from it, but at the sametime, it has to finance the USO.

Besides, there are enough leaflets dropping out of every magazine or free newspaper. Plus the private companies that deliver leaflets. But no one on here is complaining about that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here