Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this why we are crap at corners?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
We not that crap, we've scored a large percentage of our goals this year from corners XD

Though I agree, it does look bad on the eye. I sware every other corner we take doesn't clear the first man.

5 goals out of 19 scored isn't it? (That's 26%)

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Everyone moans how poor we are at corners, but how many successful corner routines does the average team score from in a season or at least get a shot on target I wonder?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Great idea.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Everyone moans how poor we are at corners, but how many successful corner routines does the average team score from in a season or at least get a shot on target I wonder?

Agree - always a bit odd to see fans (all clubs) get so excited at a corner being awarded, when not that many goals seem to come from them. Our ratio of goals scored from corners o goals scored is high because we haven't actually scored that many goals.......and the number of times we fail to beat the first man, or fire it over everyone, is pretty frustrating (although not dissimilar to most clubs). Still struggle to understand why a professional footballer can't put a dead ball, under no physical pressure, into a defined spot from 30 or 40 yards away 9 times out of 10.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Still struggle to understand why a professional footballer can't put a dead ball, under no physical pressure, into a defined spot from 30 or 40 yards away 9 times out of 10.

You must be watching different games to me. I've spent years watching our corner takers (with the exception of Vicente) do exactly that. Straight on to the bonce of the first defender on the corner of the six yard box*

*This season has been an improvement mostly, because Holla has taken more than JFC.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Agree with Edna.

I saw kids in Kenya take a perfect corner. In crocs. On what you couldnt even call a sloping pitch. And yes they had no physical pressure because the nearest player was 10 yards away. Perfect delivery time and time again while we watch our hoofers smack it against the first defender.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Agree with Edna.

I saw kids in Kenya take a perfect corner. In crocs. On what you couldnt even call a sloping pitch. And yes they had no physical pressure because the nearest player was 10 yards away. Perfect delivery time and time again while we watch our hoofers smack it against the first defender.

I like it when the corner-taker does the hand waving signals (which, given that all of our corner takers have, historically, had only two hands, frankly can't be that difficult for a defending side to decipher) to secretly let his team mates know what's coming.

From many years of watching the Albion, I've been able to establish that our secret code is thus:

-One hand= Straight to the first defender, cleared

-Two hands= Keeper's ball, cleared

-Mystery third signal (I haven't spotted what it is yet despite our apparently regular use of it)= Sailing over everyone's heads and out for a goal kick.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Agree - always a bit odd to see fans (all clubs) get so excited at a corner being awarded, when not that many goals seem to come from them. Our ratio of goals scored from corners o goals scored is high because we haven't actually scored that many goals.......and the number of times we fail to beat the first man, or fire it over everyone, is pretty frustrating (although not dissimilar to most clubs). Still struggle to understand why a professional footballer can't put a dead ball, under no physical pressure, into a defined spot from 30 or 40 yards away 9 times out of 10.

Yes, essentially you want someone who can drop it roughly on the penalty spot time after time and then get more clever from there.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We are good at corners attacking. Its our strikers that are no good.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Our corners have been vastly better this season IMO. I remember last season we had 13 corners in a game (can't remember who against) and I counted 7 of them hit the man at the front post. Given they are professionals it's pretty shocking that over half of corners hit the first man, it got to the point where I think most of the crowd felt a certain inevitability about it.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
LuaLua takes a good corner. I don't know how many of his we've scored from but I recall a few, despite him being an irregular corner taker.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Oddly enough I feel we are more of a threat from corners this season then we have been for years. Mostly due to Hyppia's influence with Dunk and Greer I suspect.

I'm sure I saw a stat not long ago that showed nationwide a goal only comes from 1 in 100 corners in English football. Better more organised defences.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Things have certainly approved from corners this year - the last few seasons our inability to beat the first man has been a huge frustration - thank the Lord for Danny Holla.

Our sunday league corner taker at least puts it properly into the box 7 or 8 times out of 10 - and more are underhit than overhit. If he hit the near post man half as many times as Albion used to, he'd get no end of abuse. It baffles me that professional footballers who practice every day can't manage it.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Oddly enough I feel we are more of a threat from corners this season then we have been for years. Mostly due to Hyppia's influence with Dunk and Greer I suspect.

I'm sure I saw a stat not long ago that showed nationwide a goal only comes from 1 in 100 corners in English football. Better more organised defences.

Hyypia has stated he cannot take any credit for Dunk's goalscoring - Lewis Dunk is a nice surprise to Hyypia

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
i recently read "The Numbers Game - Why Everything You Know About Football Is Wrong" and it talks about how it is baffling that supporters cheer the winning of corners as statistically teams score from only 2% of their corners - or once every 7 games. statistically the team is better off taking a short corner and retaining possession.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here