Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another question for NSC's resident sparkies

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Roughly (very roughly) how much would it cost me to have the top two floors of my house rewired (the bottom floor was rewired when it was remodelled about 5 years ago) ?
Some of it is new and certified, some of it is new and uncertified, some of it is quite old but when I come to sell next year it's nailed on that the buyer's survey will highlight it.

aliakbanrafsanjali

Dec 29, 2012
I was told by a pal too roughly use £300 per room for a basic flush install, 1 x light and switch in all rooms and 3-4 sockets, 2 way switching and 1 socket on landings and halls, all with white plastic accessories and £80 per smoke detector on each floor. I don't know how this compares as i haven't had any other quotes (and won't be). Our property has floorboards not chipboard floor, which he said can make his job easier. I will be doing the making good. This will be done with certification and receipt!
The kitchen, bathroom have already been done along with a massive fuseboard and some earth cables connected to my water and gas pipe? I was told this had to happen first?
Don't know if any of this helps?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I can not really give you too much advice price wise i'm afraid. I used to do a few private rewires, but realised at my prices i would probably had to work like a dog if i wanted to do it full time. I always used BICC cable as opposed to cheap foreign cable where the insulation of the cores was normally stuck to the outer sheath, like wise MK sockets and switches and a decent Consumer Unit.
As you are selling the place next year, a top job may not be your priority, just the certification. I think that the 5 year old work will need to be re certified and checked, because it will become the responsibility of the sparks that does any future work.
Get a few quotes obviously, and i NEVER took any money upfront for materials, paid on satisfaction and completion.
I do know a Sparks that lives in Newhaven, seems to love house bashing, BHA supporter, if you are interested i could give you his number via pm.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
[MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] could you let me have the details of the Newhaven sparks please?

I get asked about electrical work sometimes but the Sparks I know is always busy, he was supposed to come and sort out a light at my house last week but couldn't make it.

Thankyou.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
[MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] could you let me have the details of the Newhaven sparks please?

I get asked about electrical work sometimes but the Sparks I know is always busy, he was supposed to come and sort out a light at my house last week but couldn't make it.

Thankyou.

Yep will do. it would be a coincidence if it was the same bloke :lolol:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I can not really give you too much advice price wise i'm afraid. I used to do a few private rewires, but realised at my prices i would probably had to work like a dog if i wanted to do it full time. I always used BICC cable as opposed to cheap foreign cable where the insulation of the cores was normally stuck to the outer sheath, like wise MK sockets and switches and a decent Consumer Unit.
As you are selling the place next year, a top job may not be your priority, just the certification. I think that the 5 year old work will need to be re certified and checked, because it will become the responsibility of the sparks that does any future work.
Get a few quotes obviously, and i NEVER took any money upfront for materials, paid on satisfaction and completion.
I do know a Sparks that lives in Newhaven, seems to love house bashing, BHA supporter, if you are interested i could give you his number via pm.
Whats wrong with taking a deposit to cover material costs? I also insist on taking stage payments on first and second fix then final payment once cert has been issued.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Whats wrong with taking a deposit to cover material costs? I also insist on taking stage payments on first and second fix then final payment once cert has been issued.

I did not say there was anything wrong, i just said "i NEVER took any money upfront for materials,".
I am just talking about a house rewire in this thread, not a big job with a few weeks before you reach first fix, then later second fix.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I did not say there was anything wrong, i just said "i NEVER took any money upfront for materials,".
I am just talking about a house rewire in this thread, not a big job with a few weeks before you reach first fix, then later second fix.
Fair enough mate, I thought you were implying it was wrong for a customer to pay upfront for materials.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here