Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

another nail in the tory coffin

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i know someone who works in schemes to give work to severely disabled and handicapped people. they cant get many organisations to join the programme unless its as volunteers for this reason. and then those that do are accused of exploiting disabled workers on only minimum wage. all this story will do is make few more companies stay out of it altogether.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Whilst I cannot agree with what was said, I feel you will be sorely disappointed next May.

really why
I banking Nigel to mix it up............................mind he's as bad as they are, but it will get some of the tories out then watch them self destruct

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
i know someone who works in schemes to give work to severely disabled and handicapped people. they cant get many organisations to join the programme unless its as volunteers for this reason. and then those that do are accused of exploiting disabled workers on only minimum wage. all this story will do is make few more companies stay out of it altogether.

my daughter has a very rare type of Turners syndrome, making no more that 4foot 10 inches in height.
first job this bunch of bar stewards sent her to was a nursing home in hove on minimum pay, silly girl worked through her holidays without pay lifting old people in and out of bed on her own until one of her discs slipped ..................I then blew my top. the own claimed she did not know this was going on ..paid her holiday pay and overtime , then the cheeky bitch asked her to go back.
my daughter is now working in after school clubs part time ....some paid some volunteering and trying to keep up with some absolutely useless coarse for the job centre which if she does not turn up she will lose any benefits.
and her case is very mild from what others had said to me

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is what you get from the Tories, its good for small businessmen to have a large pool of desperate workers that have to accept low wages as standard.
There was an interesting article the other day I read in which it turns out that a high percentage of Sainsburys lower ranking staff are on Family Credit and other benefits to top their wages up to a living wage. I'm sure lots of the other supermatket retailers are paying the same low rate despite most making hundreds of £M pounds in profits annually.

The Minimum Wage was a good starting point but a Living Wage should now be legalised. Of course the Tories will say this will lead to employers laying off or not employing workers as they know they would rather have a huge layer of people living like drones with no hope of any improvements in their drudgery.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As a full time carer my "earnings" from the state by way of Carers Allowance are considerably less than £2 an hour but there are whispers that they want to cut it out completely. Their consistent determination to demonise the acutely sick and disabled is an outrage but I guess as long as they can vote themselves a 10% pay rise someone has to suffer further in order to afford it.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
For crying out loud,this stupid remark, which was made by an idiot and is nothing to do with Tory Party policy,has been condemned by heaven knows how many people within the party.
No need to go overboard on the usual tory hating rants.
By the way,I read that this fellow used to be an advisor to the Labour party

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I hate to tell you all this, but one of the reasons we have such high unemployment is because some people and jobs are not worth the "minimum wage".

I know everyone wants us to agree on a livable wage, and try to ensure that everyone can earn it, however, this is what ends up happening.

A simple labor oriented job exists and could be done by an unqualified and unemployed person for a small wage. But that would be illegal. Pay the unskilled unemployed person the same as better qualified staff doing more difficult tasks, or alternatively, don't hire for this small job. The employer invariably chooses the latter, and finds another way to get the job done without hiring for more than they think the job is worth.

The good news, nobody is suffering with a wage lower than what we have decided is "acceptable". The bad news, our unskilled unemployed person continues to be so.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
For crying out loud,this stupid remark, which was made by an idiot and is nothing to do with Tory Party policy,has been condemned by heaven knows how many people within the party.
No need to go overboard on the usual tory hating rants.
By the way,I read that this fellow used to be an advisor to the Labour party

he is a knob of the highest order whatever party he is speaking for
as my other half said no doubt there are labour people who think the same

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
This was mentioned on the BBCs Daily Politics after Pmqs.
Nick Robinson said the quote looked as if it was taken out of context.
Asked if it was possible to pay disabled people less than the minimum wage and get the government to cover the difference he said that it was an idea worth looking at if it enabled disabled people to get jobs and help their self esteme if the individual so requested.
Milliband just took a quote out of context.Bit like forgetting the economy in his speech and also not wanting the English to have the only say on English law.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
my daughter has a very rare type of Turners syndrome, making no more that 4foot 10 inches in height.
first job this bunch of bar stewards sent her to was a nursing home in hove on minimum pay, silly girl worked through her holidays without pay lifting old people in and out of bed on her own until one of her discs slipped ..................I then blew my top. the own claimed she did not know this was going on ..paid her holiday pay and overtime , then the cheeky bitch asked her to go back.
my daughter is now working in after school clubs part time ....some paid some volunteering and trying to keep up with some absolutely useless coarse for the job centre which if she does not turn up she will lose any benefits.
and her case is very mild from what others had said to me

Most people, both left and right of the political spectrum, would believe that society is defined by the way it treats the most vulnerable, disadvantaged, or restricted by whatever condition they have. Sadly, the uneven distribution of wealth, and encouragement of open greed, means that 'advanced' societies have lost their way-if ever they had a way.

Any society that claims to have consideration for others would ensure that anyone such as your daughter would be given an equal opportunity, and have their needs understood in a way that allows them to flourish, and I say flourish, not just exist.

Your daughter is not a challenge, or a statistic, she presents an opportunity to show what collective consideration means. It angers me, and has done for a while, the way this government has facilitated the demonisation of those who need support- It sees them as a social burden and lumps them in with the lazy and workshy. The job centres are the shiny shop front of this.

I wish her every success, she is the equal of us all, and nothing less.

Last edited:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Asked if it was possible to pay disabled people less than the minimum wage and get the government to cover the difference he said that it was an idea worth looking at if it enabled disabled people to get jobs and help their self esteme if the individual so requested.
Milliband just took a quote out of context.Bit like forgetting the economy in his speech and also not wanting the English to have the only say on English law.

No no, don't try to explain what he said in context. Taking him out of context makes me feel righteous and indignant and I quite like feeling that way, thank you very much.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I would say Millaband is desperate I am surprised DC didn't bring up who sold all the gold reserves !next time he moans about the euro star sell off.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

What actually was said:-

Lord Freud's comments came during a fringe meeting at the Conservative conference last month when he was asked whether it was preferable for someone with a disability, who could not get a job, to be paid less than the minimum wage - and to have their income topped up with benefits - in order to give them the experience of work and boost their self esteem.

'£2 an hour'
In response to the question, from Conservative councillor David Scott, he reportedly said there "was no system for going below the minimum wage".

But he added: "Now, there is a small… there is a group, and I know exactly who you mean, where actually as you say they're not worth the full wage and actually I'm going to go and think about that particular issue, whether there is something we can do nationally, and without distorting the whole thing, which actually if someone wants to work for £2 an hour, and it's working can we actually…"

And that's the nasties in a nutshell, not only do they want to penalise the most in need, they convince themselves that they're doing these people a favour. I've got more respect for those from the right who will tell you that it's all about themselves and their family and everyone else can go **** themselves - Than those who claim they're trying to help those in needs. Nasty, lying b*stards.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here