Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The most horrible places to shop in Brighton, Hove and surrounding areas.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
My vote is for the New England Quarter Sainsburys. Only my second time in there, but oh my what a depressing place to shop. Service with a smile is well and truly not the message in there.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
My vote is for the New England Quarter Sainsburys. Only my second time in there, but oh my what a depressing place to shop. Service with a smile is well and truly not the message in there.

Can't really argue with you. The Stalin Quarter would have been more apt. Can we blame the former Tory Council for this one ?

Contenders from the surrounding area would have to include the fabulous Teville Gate in Worthing. Worthing is on the way up in my books (maybe I am just getting closer to the age of the target market), but as long as this monstrosity sits there, they have nothing to be smug about.

This year I made my last trip to Blatchington Road Hove to buy school uniform (insert free punchline here). If ever there was an argument for public transport, the miserable little car park and dumb paying machine combination here is it. It marks this out as one of my least favourite shopping spots.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I quite like that Sainsburys. Compared to the Marina ASDA and Somerfield on London Road it's lovely.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Blatchington Road is hideous....however, George Street redeems it, as George St is getting very good. Especially where independent shops are concerned.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Anywhere on London road.

I walked along there Sunday lunchtime, every other shop had a beggar complete with dog outside, it was filthy dirty with rubbish everywhere. Half of it needs knocking down.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think Newhaven High Street boasts that honour, sadly.

That New England Sainsburys always seems quite pleasant to me, although they seem to put everything in a different place to all other Sainsburys which is annoying.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can't really argue with you. The Stalin Quarter would have been more apt. Can we blame the former Tory Council for this one ?

Contenders from the surrounding area would have to include the fabulous Teville Gate in Worthing. Worthing is on the way up in my books (maybe I am just getting closer to the age of the target market), but as long as this monstrosity sits there, they have nothing to be smug about.

This year I made my last trip to Blatchington Road Hove to buy school uniform (insert free punchline here). If ever there was an argument for public transport, the miserable little car park and dumb paying machine combination here is it. It marks this out as one of my least favourite shopping spots.

There's nothing left there to shop in except Bed King, the only " Shopping " you could do there is pick up some drugs.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I agree, it's quite laid back, couple of department stores and a few nice shops. I like.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Quite. As supermarkets go, that Sainsbury's is fine.

It's not as though you get service with a smile with every supermarket. Or any supermarket for that matter.

Service with a smile is difficult when the majority of customers wander around zoned out with headphones on or pushing their brats around in a second trolley using it as a cage fight. That's if they are not stuffing their faces with sausage rolls or Dairylea cheese dippers which they may or may not pay for when they get to the checkout.
But, hey, the customer is a valued person, that's why they dare not upset them or their brats.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anywhere on London road.

I walked along there Sunday lunchtime, every other shop had a beggar complete with dog outside, it was filthy dirty with rubbish everywhere. Half of it needs knocking down.

The guy on the corner outside Aldi in London Road is really trying to expand his act into a full-on little peace camp with all the props and accoutrements. Fair play for initiative but can't be too long before Aldi step in move him on, a bit like the old Sainsbury's on the same site did to the poor old fella who had the newspaper shack outside for years.

You won't RECOGNISE London Road in years to come. Gentrification beckons.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Are they knocking it all down and starting again?

Nope, just moving a couple of hundred students into the revamped old Co-op building. Already most of the pubs with - obviously - the exception of the Branch Tavern are tarting themselves up, as has the Open Market, and there's many more cafes and the like springing up. Now just needs the one-man-one-car brigade to be forcibly made to do one and be diverted the long way round and it'll be prime real estate. Buy! buy!

Lewes Road might take a bit longer.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Boundary road and all the shops that reside on it are horrific. Sorry for completely overseeing that one, however it's an experience firmly put to the back of my mind.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It's getting better.

It's still horrible, but it's a better, nicer horrible.

There are a lot of good places to eat and drink and the open market's good. I don't think London Rd is any more horrible than most of Western Road or the Sea Front.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Boundary road and all the shops that reside on it are horrific. Sorry for completely overseeing that one, however it's an experience firmly put to the back of my mind.

Not quite all. 90% I will give you but there are a few exceptions. The Asian supermarket near to HSBC has a few little gems in it and is the only place west of Taj that sells scotch bonnets, which go fantastically with the goat or unusual cuts of meat sold in Henry's meat market. Cou Cou does EXCELLENT burgers and has a proper pizzas from a proper pizza oven and, even if they lose out to Pappa John's then we'll still have a Papa John's. Cafe An An does one of the best lunches in the whole city and really good value and the computer shop at the bottom, run by an aging Middle Eastern type is an Aladdin's cave of gadgetery. Other than that though....

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here