Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would You Like To See Player Wages Regulated

read below

• Yes

Votes: 75 79.8%
  • NO

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I dont know,however Hong Kong Phooey was a number one super guy!

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Following on from the recent BBC findings

Leaving all the legalities out of it as in whether or not its legally possible,is this something you would like to see implemented

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No. Why should football players be singled out? No such rule for bankers, musicians, tennis or golf players, bankers etc.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No. Why should football players be singled out? No such rule for bankers, musicians, tennis or golf players, bankers etc.

In fairness football players should be singled out in this poll because its a question about football players............not bankers or musicians

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In fairness football players should be singled out in this poll because its a question about football players............not bankers or musicians

Why? Why not have a poll about whether, in a free market, your wages should be regulated? Are we envious as to how much they get paid? Almost certainly yes. However, it is a free market. The problem are the clubs. The massive increase in income last year meant they could have reduced the entrance cost for all fans considerably but they chose not to. I'm normally supportive of most things that PB seems to do as it appears in the interests of BHA however when we have been in the play-offs, we have been told that if we go up our ST will increase despite the fact the clubs income could easily cover a reduction and still have plenty left to get players and pay off some of TB's loan.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
No, it's up to the clubs and the regulating authorities to do something about it.

I don't believe it would be beyond them if they just got together and used a modicum of sense

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Why? Why not have a poll about whether, in a free market, your wages should be regulated? Are we envious as to how much they get paid? Almost certainly yes. However, it is a free market.

Its a fair point but only to a degree,i am not envious in the slightest how much the players are paid,i am concerned player wages(and agents fees) are out of control

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I voted no. I'd rather see legislation whereby the lowest paid person in an organisation has to be paid (off the top of my head) a minimum of 2.5% of what the top earner gets, so if the chairman is "worth" a million quid a year, then the least anyone else is worth is £25k.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Its a fair point but only to a degree,i am not envious in the slightest how much the players are paid,i am concerned player wages(and agents fees) are out of control

Why are you concerned though? Why single out football as an industry and not others?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I can see both sides, however voted yes, clubs are bankrupting themselves to buy success without investing into the long term future.

At times on NSC we moan about he lack of investment on the field and yet the board are trying to run the club as a business and invest into long term infrastructure.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Why are you concerned though? Why single out football as an industry and not others?

I already said i was concerned player wages and agents fees were out of control,not sure what you are getting at with regard to singling out football and not other industries.......im talking about footballers(i did say disregarding the legal points regarding regulation)

why are you not concerned about the massive wages?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't pay the wages, so in a word, No.

Pay negotiations are voluntary between club and player.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No, it's up to the clubs and the regulating authorities to do something about it.

I don't believe it would be beyond them if they just got together and used a modicum of sense

So they shouldn't be regulated, but they should be regulated?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You do pay the wages,your entrance fee goes directly to that.

Do you not consider £100,000 a week as ridiculous

1: My entrance fee goes indirectly, not directly to wages. Tony Bloom decides how much of my entry fee goes towards wages. He is worth £600 million, earned through property and gambling transactions, is that of concern to you?

2: £100,000 a week isn't ridiculous, it's the market rate. Football is a meritocracy, the best tend to be paid the most.

Oct 25, 2003
You do pay the wages,your entrance fee goes directly to that.

Do you not consider £100,000 a week as ridiculous

i'm going to the duke of yorks later...i imagine my entrance fee is going towards their staffs wages also....i couldn't care less how much they earn

footballers earn loads because it's a really, really lucrative entertainment market and they're the entertainers

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
And when the player is paid ridiculous 1`000`s per week where is the voice of the Fan in this transaction between club and player

Nowhere. It's none of my business, just like it's none of my business how much you are paid, even if I use your services.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
What they earn pales into insignificance when you look at how much the footballing industry is worth globally. One would argue they are taking their fair slice of the pie. If you're a world class, world famous striker earning your club millions upon millions of pounds through trophies, sponsorship deals, merchandise etc you'd think it was only right that you were paid something proportional to that.

Keanu Reeves was paid $30,000,000 for the last two Matrix films according to Wikipedia. Bit much? Or about right when you look at those picture's total gross?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here