Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inflation

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Many company pension schemes go by the inflation figure in September and set this as the annual increase starting from the new tax year in April. As the CPI figure is now used , an increase of 1.2% is just over half of what the increase would have been under RPI which is 2.3%. At least the state pension will increase by 2.5% under the triple lock formula.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Whilst it is good I fear we have new generation of mortgage payers who think 0.5% interest rate is quite normal whereas it is totally abnormal unless the landscape on interests rates really has changed.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So pensioners are getting a 'pay rise' just over twice the rate of inflation?

I suppose it makes up a bit for their loss of income on their savings.

Pensioners spend a greater proportion of their income on food and fuel which is going up more than the headline figures.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Whilst it is good I fear we have new generation of mortgage payers who think 0.5% interest rate is quite normal whereas it is totally abnormal unless the landscape on interests rates really has changed.

I fear for the number of house repossessions that will happen once interest rates rise, especially given the fact that wages over the last few years have barely increased for most people.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

When does the abnormal become normal? Rates have been this low for 5 years now. Maybe the landscape has changed?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

You're right about new first time buyers, I hope for their sake rates don't shoot up.

Whilst interest rates won't stay as low as they are now for ever, they surely won't go back to the 15% interest rates I remember in the 80s

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When does the abnormal become normal? Rates have been this low for 5 years now. Maybe the landscape has changed?

This is very true and I am not qualified to comment, maybe the one benefit from this horrendous recession will be much lower interest rates for many years to come.

Whilst inflation is low it does not excuse the blatant mark up in key factor costs like food, energy and train fares.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
I fear for the number of house repossessions that will happen once interest rates rise, especially given the fact that wages over the last few years have barely increased for most people.

And that's exactly why we won't be seeing any significant or meaningful rises for a very long time

Unless loony labour get back in and decide to p!ss everything up the wall again

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

given the genuinly international dimension of borrowing and saving now, i think we should start to think that this is the new normal. money flows need to flow somewhere, theres an awful lot of surplus cash around (yes, even in the UK after a recession), so credit is cheap.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Mark Carney is very aware of this and I'm sure this will play a large part in his thinking.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You're right about new first time buyers, I hope for their sake rates don't shoot up.

Whilst interest rates won't stay as low as they are now for ever, they surely won't go back to the 15% interest rates I remember in the 80s

I hope not and 15% was entirely down to John Major and his obsession with ERM factoring in Lamont who was decidedly stupid as a Chancellor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here