Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the UK government continue giving humanitarian aid?

yes or no?

• yes

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • yes, but only to countries that really need it.

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • no

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • no, british money for british people

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Not to countries that keep spending on Arms or space technology such as India etc

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Not to countries that keep spending on Arms or space technology such as India etc

Yeah I'm predicting this will be the top answer. The UK is one of most generous countries in public donations. The government matched the 75 million of the British public donations to the Philippines last year.

It seems obvious to me that it is better to be using a properly structured foreign aid budget to combat ebola in West Africa than it would be to abandon foreign aid and wait until the epidemic spread unchallenged to Western Europe and our own doorstep.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Humanitarian aid should be exactly that , no skimming off the top by corrupt leaders.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I think there are problems with the current system for sure, but that's an argument for improving how it's spent rather than stopping it. Many people have issues with the trains, that's not an argument to abolish trains though. I also think the 0.7% of GDP figure is a good amount as a base, with the obvious caveat that some should be held back until the end of the year in case of emergencies, which can then be rolled into the next year's aid budget if it's not spent.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I voted just a straight yes, so without the conditionality.

I can't help thinking there is an element her that is the same as the concept of the "deserving and the undeserving poor" in individual terms, so I would support us ceasing aid in certain cases, but only where we might be very sure of the facts - not as a knee-jerk reaction to appease certain groups of voters........ and that is not meant to be a swipe at UKIP or anyone else.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
absolutely we should.

but you have asked the wrong question, you mean should we earmark 10Bn for Overseas Development Aid, for many, many things beyond humanitarian aid. this budget is mostly a slush fund to curry favor and influence overseas.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I've said no, on the basis that many essential services in the country are poorly funded, or at risk of closure, despite being overloaded. I'm of the belief that we need to sort our own problems out before dealing with others. And anyway, with the levels of immigration we have, we seem to be dishing out the aid at both ends anyway.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
India is the perfect example

It's a joke that they send a rocket into space, have all this money for the Indian Super league, paying god knows what the these footballers, the cricket league....yet we donate so much money

If a country is in dire straight and other countries donate, then yes!

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I feel like I have been contributing to Africa for fresh water to drink for about 30 odd years and I guess the government has done too , 30 years later we still see the same adverts :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here