Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Gene Vincent, Lennon/Beatles & Little Richard

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I saw Little Richard in the sixties at the Hippodrome, at the start of his comeback tour. He pretended to pass out on stage and just when everyone thought it was a real emergency he leapt up singing, I think, Tutti Frutti. Amazing showman. Gene Vincent I caught later, like The Who at the Downs Hotel Hassocks. He was a great old rocker but something of a one trick pony. Although as tricks go Be Bop a Lula was pretty legendary.

Jan 6, 2013
I saw Little Richard in the sixties at the Hippodrome, at the start of his comeback tour. He pretended to pass out on stage and just when everyone thought it was a real emergency he leapt up singing, I think, Tutti Frutti. Amazing showman. Gene Vincent I caught later, like The Who at the Downs Hotel Hassocks. He was a great old rocker but something of a one trick pony. Although as tricks go Be Bop a Lula was pretty legendary.

great stories, pretty jealous you got to see them. there are some real crazy stories around about Gene Vincent with trying to shoot Glitter being the best, also pulling a gun on Jet Harris and John Leyton having to talk him out of shooting, threatening bouncers with a knife and Paul McCartney tells a story on Ronnie Woods radio show saying that Gene was so unhinged when the Beatles went drinking with him that they had to sneak off away from him. The more you read up on Gene its not only obvious he was an alcoholic addicted to pain killers for his leg but also suffered from mental health problems (talking to Eddie Cochran backstage years after Eddie had died and managers tried to keep him away from doing interviews later on as he was talking nonsense), these days he would probably get help and rehab etc. Vincent will always be the craziest rock n roller but with such a beautiful voice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDB3TawplHc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here