Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iceland Vs Holland

Mar 24, 2010
Tunbridge Wells
Waghorn's amazing trivial football facts, - Of the 22 members of the Icelandic squad facing the Dutch tonight, all but one have a surname ending in son, the exception being Solvi Ottesen. It's currently 2-0 to Iceland, Get in there my sons.....:lolol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Iceland v Netherlands

I have just turned on SS1 to see that with twenty minutes left Iceland are 2-0 up in this game. And looking good!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Would be some result for them. As a side note, I think in Iceland pretty much every males surname ends in 'son' for some complex family reason.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Would be some result for them. As a side note, I think in Iceland pretty much every males surname ends in 'son' for some complex family reason.

Complex? It just means "son of". Thordar Sigurdsson's son might be Gudjon Thordarsson. Gudjon's son Erik would then be Erik Gudjonsson, and Eric's son Magnus would be Magnus Ericsson.

Women in Iceland nearly all have the suffix "dottir", meaning "daughter of" their father. Thus: Hanna Thordarsdottir in the first example given above.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
More people live in Bristol than in Iceland.

That said, the Soccernomics people reckon that, in terms of participation and viewing habits, the Icelanders are the most fanatical football fans in Europe.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I hope they qualify only narrowly missed out on the World Cup. Great country as well been twice and loved it hopefully going back again next summer.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Amazing result. Iceland only has a population of 300,000 - considerably less than perennial whipping boys, Luxembourg.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I hope they qualify only narrowly missed out on the World Cup. Great country as well been twice and loved it hopefully going back again next summer.

Me too. Easily my favourite country of the ones I've visited in Europe.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Fantastic result, delighted for Iceland. Great to see such cheating little tarts like Robben losing while wearing GLOVES.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Fantastic result, delighted for Iceland. Great to see such cheating little tarts like Robben losing while wearing GLOVES.

Pssst! One of the Icelanders was wearing gloves too. And I thought there was a remarkable absence of cheating in that game, from both sides. At least from the bit I saw. I noted the home fans were booing Robben: didn't know if that was because of something in the game, or just because they could.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
The Dutch are up against it now to qualify early days but not the start they will have wanted and knowing there fragile mentality could well implode.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Sally_Magnusson.jpg

How's that work then? I've started so I'll finish.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Love watching them play. They really are heroes in Iceland and were so unlucky to not qualify for the world cup. I reckon with the right group, they'll be the dark horses in the Euros.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Elsewhere, Norway brought on a 15 year old, Martin Odegaard, as a substitute in their qualifier against Bulgaria tonight. He was born in December 1998. What were you doing then? :ohmy:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Elsewhere, Norway brought on a 15 year old, Martin Odegaard, as a substitute in their qualifier against Bulgaria tonight. He was born in December 1998. What were you doing then? :ohmy:

How to feel old :eek: I'd have been 21 and working for NTL generally making a bollox of fixing peoples cable TV, Analogue at that none of this digital tv in 98.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here