Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

400k NHS workers on strike...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Kinda feel they deserve more but what are we supposed to do, the numbers just don't add up?

Unless we get more tax in, such luxuries are a pipe dream

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Not really a luxury. 1% was the increase recommended by independent body. The MP's were happy enough to give themselves 11% "as this was awarded by independent body".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Kinda feel they deserve more but what are we supposed to do, the numbers just don't add up?

Unless we get more tax in, such luxuries are a pipe dream

You've answered your own question.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
If everyone in the NHS was actually allowed to strike it would make more of an impact. But as already said the money to pay for free Heath care needs to come from somewhere.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Fair play to them. Mrs Sock has just qualified. She has to pay £100 a year to be registered as a nurse and an additional £200 to be 'covered'. If she doesn't then her first in paediatric nursing means nothing. Next year the PIN registration rises to £120

Absolutely ridiculous way to treat them

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It appears that too much is spent on administration and not enough at the basic treatment level. According to my sister in law who was made redundant by the NHS the CEO of West Sussex Area Health earns more than the PM but that is less than CEO of St Barnabas so she has stopped fund raising for them, although they are not NHS funded.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Reduce the dependency of the NHS on agency staff and use the savings to nurture the staff that the NHS employs directly.

This would violate the other Prime Directive (not the Star Trek one...)

Everything private is better than anything public.
This does not need to be proven. It's axiomatic.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
there is always the possibility of not running a balanced budget
like we haven't done for over 400 years.
we do have to ration healthcare and set health workers wages at reasonable levels
if we do not want too many resources used up in that sphere.
But in the end when it comes to government which makes all its purchases
via the Bank of England it is never about what money can be afforded.
it is about the greater good which crucially includes inflation management
yes as a society we can choose to redirect more resources to healthcare
via government spending and taxation but there are other needs.
Falling living standards amongst health care workers is not in the wider public's interests

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
This would violate the other Prime Directive (not the Star Trek one...)

Everything private is better than anything public.
This does not need to be proven. It's axiomatic.
well that is what faith is all about
proof is not needed!
why not privatize the army?
mercenary armies competing for franchises
bound to be better and cheaper than public armies

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Not really a luxury. 1% was the increase recommended by independent body. The MP's were happy enough to give themselves 11% "as this was awarded by independent body".

Also don't forget MP's can still employ one family member at a cost of around 44K and mine does Karen Bradley,Con Staffordshire Moorlands and i am waiting to hear what she has to say about the strike.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Exactly! That's exactly what they said to justify their increase, but can't afford the 1% recommended for NHS staff.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I went out on strike today. Government are taking the piss. It's bad enough that our t's & c's are constantly being eroded, the 1% was the final insult. As an example, I'd expect most people would expect to get paid some extra for working Christmas Day, not in the ambulance service. I'll be getting the same rate of pay Christmas Day as I would working tomorrow. This has gone on for the past 6 years. It's about time our union stood up, hopefully government will take some notice.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here