Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GoPro Hero+ Camera's - Advice please

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I'm looking to get a camera primarily for use when skiing.

I've been to my local camera shop who have a GoPro display up at the moment, but I left a little bit none the wiser really. I think they were worried I was just getting information to then go & buy elsewhere, but I wasn't, I will buy it from them as I would like to be able to take it in for help & advice afterwards, and they have a good reputation for that locally.

They have the Hero 3+ Black at £249.99 and the Hero 3+ Silver at £199.99. From what I understood, they are much the same. The Black 3+ can record at higher than 1080 HD quality, but unless you have something compatible to watch it back on then not much use. Also the Silver came with housing but the Black didn't, that was an extra £30 - £40. Is the housing required, is it like a protective case you might get for a phone, or is there much more to it?

Also, they were quite keen on saying the wifi remote is although not essential, pretty much a must have accessory? From what I can see it lets you control the camera from a remote control, but then there is a free Iphone App that does the same thing, or again is it not that simple?

Then of course Hero 4 will be released soon. Would I better waiting for that, or are they just going to be providing even more functionality that a basic user wouldn't use?

All advice much appreciated please.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Not clued up on cameras but would recommend park cameras Burgess Hill. Got good advice from them in the past.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I'm looking to get a camera primarily for use when skiing.

I've been to my local camera shop who have a GoPro display up at the moment, but I left a little bit none the wiser really. I think they were worried I was just getting information to then go & buy elsewhere, but I wasn't, I will buy it from them as I would like to be able to take it in for help & advice afterwards, and they have a good reputation for that locally.

They have the Hero 3+ Black at £249.99 and the Hero 3+ Silver at £199.99. From what I understood, they are much the same. The Black 3+ can record at higher than 1080 HD quality, but unless you have something compatible to watch it back on then not much use. Also the Silver came with housing but the Black didn't, that was an extra £30 - £40. Is the housing required, is it like a protective case you might get for a phone, or is there much more to it?

Also, they were quite keen on saying the wifi remote is although not essential, pretty much a must have accessory? From what I can see it lets you control the camera from a remote control, but then there is a free Iphone App that does the same thing, or again is it not that simple?

Then of course Hero 4 will be released soon. Would I better waiting for that, or are they just going to be providing even more functionality that a basic user wouldn't use?

All advice much appreciated please.

Okay so first thing, how are you going to control the go pro whilst skiing?! Is it really that necessary?

Also what and where can you watch your video that's recorded higher than 1080p?! Bit impractable unless you have a 4K TV.

I'd go for the silver personally.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Colleague bought a Chinese copy for about £50, he is very happy with it, although it appears that you can now pick up a base model Go Pro for not much over a £100 online.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
My advice would be not to use an apostrophe to indicate more than one camera.

#anothertensecondsgone

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
i got my sports/action camera from Aldi (supermarket)
it was one of their special buys and i got it for £40. I use it for cycling, going over the south downs etc. It is brilliant and at a fraction of the cost of a GoPRo.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
A few weeks ago i was in the same position as you, i brought a Silver go pro 3+, i used it on yesterday and am really happy with it

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
blimey, 7 hours!
surprised you dont get much camera shake, considering the camera is fitted to the handlebars.
that bracket is a bargain too.
i dont have a gopro, i got a similar camera from aldi and its pretty good. obviously not as good as those gopro's

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
I have the black hero 3 with remote. Bought the mount that goes around your head. It's great for cycling, snorkeling, scuba diving or whatever. never used the remote. Just need to press record with the top button. Filmed our instructor spear a huge October that we ate for lunch on the boat soon after. Not going to even try uploading that yet with my internet connecting speeds.

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
I'd definitely wait and get the Hero 4 or else you are buying old technology.... I have the Hero 3 Black... amazing camera.

DanSeagull

Jun 10, 2009
I actually was in exactly the same situation as you are now about a year ago!

I bought the silver and went skiing with it. I can honestly say it is a great investment. You don't need the WiFi control really, i just used to start the recording at the top of my run and stop it at the end. I just edited the footage after to make it look pretty.

The case is a must. It is an expensive bit of kit and whilst it is sturdy, it is not waterproof without thee case so DEFINITELY get that. It will last for ever and protect the lens at the same time.

I also bought a telescopic pole (not branded) but found that it was good to get some shots whilst skiing as well.

Hope this helps!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I was looking at getting a new Hero4, but then my MacBook Air struggles with GoPro2 videos, the rendering phase takes ages, the laptop gets really hot and sounds like it's going to fly away. I think it'll melt if I tried to edit a 4k video, and then the uploading time on my 1mb down 512up here in France would take a few days.
I'm going to borrow a new GoPro Hero (the £99 one) and see how it goes. Apart from my GoPro2 melting (bolted it next to the exhaust on my old track car, flames got the better of it) the biggest annoyance was the low light quality. It's okay in the winter in the snow, but in summer on the bike going from light to dark (through trees) it struggles.
I mostly snowboard now, but I found using the 'chesty' mount worked well for skiing as you see the poles and knee action, I find the helmet mounted videos make it look like you're floating.
This is my local: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwKeTEbF2-k
The chesty doesnt quite work snowboarding as your arms get in the way.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Where did you bring it from?

Do you mean where did i buy it from? I brought it off ebay, just over £200, i spent another £50 on other bits and pieces

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
SJ4000 is a great, cheap alternative. Just Google it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here