Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If and When Wayne Rooney becomes both Englands most capped player and top scorer

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
What will your main memory of him be once he's retired from International football. Mine will be primarily disapointment but he can't be that bad if he achieves the above.

I'll personally feel for him as many will just see unfulfilled potential but i don't believe it's his fault he's been surrounded by some very mediocre players ( James Milner 50 caps FFS) over the years unlike Bobby Charlton who had a great side around him.

Also whenever i look at the individual talent in that 2006 World Cup squad Robinson, A Cole, Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Rooney, Owen, J cole. How the hell did they not do better?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Idiot savant who never really fulfilled his potential. Fair play though, the gene pool was heavily weighed against him, as was the weight of England's expectations. Overall, boy done good.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What will your main memory of him be once he's retired from International football. Mine will be primarily disapointment but he can't be that bad if he achieves the above.

I'll personally feel for him as many will just see unfulfilled potential but i don't believe it's his fault he's been surrounded by some very mediocre players ( James Milner 50 caps FFS) over the years unlike Bobby Charlton who had a great side around him.

Also whenever i look at the individual talent in that 2006 World Cup squad Robinson, A Cole, Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Rooney, Owen, J cole. How the hell did they not do better?

Probably because, as talented as they were, they weren't as talented as the media made them out to be.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Idiot savant who never really fulfilled his potential. Fair play though, the gene pool was heavily weighed against him, as was the weight of England's expectations. Overall, boy done good.

Slightly outdated and disturbing term. As much as someone may not be as articulate as others, it is a shame to see a suggestion that they are mentally disabled.

As regards Wayne Rooney, I've always been an admirer. He has a talent that has sometimes been weighed down by the expectations your refer to, and his passion for his country has never been in doubt.

D

Deleted member 18477

My biggest England memory of Rooney is still Euro 2004. What a tournament for the then young lad. I was so gutted he went off injured in the quarter final against Portugal. I still believe that was England's best chance of glory since Euro 96. Can't talk about that game and not mention that header Sol Campbel buried only for the refs to see something no one else did and disallow it. I also remember Darius Vassell being absolute dog shite in that game. Lazy ******* didn't even run!

England: James, Gary Neville, Terry, Campbell, Ashley Cole, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard (Hargreaves 81), Scholes (Phil Neville 57), Owen, Rooney (Vassell 27).
Subs Not Used: Robinson, Walker, Bridge, Carragher, Butt, Joe Cole, Dyer, Heskey

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2004/3830451.stm

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The poster boy for the bloated money grabbing excess that is, internationally mediocre, top flight English football.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Slightly outdated and disturbing term. As much as someone may not be as articulate as others, it is a shame to see a suggestion that they are mentally disabled.

My mistake, what's the current approved term for someone with a two-figure IQ with the brain-to-foot coordination of a PHD?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
My biggest England memory of Rooney is still Euro 2004. What a tournament for the then young lad. I was so gutted he went off injured in the quarter final against Portugal. I still believe that was England's best chance of glory since Euro 96.

Couldn't agree more. He was an outstanding talent at that tournament, and if he hadn't been injured in the QF, I feel we could well have won it.

Sadly it was to prove his peak.

Everything since has epitomized unfulfilled potential, and while he will inevitably carry on adding goals, he has never become the international player we all thought he would be after that tournament. And - most tellingly - his contribution at major finals since Euro 2004 has been woeful.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Mine is that he is the scape goat for the failings of the national team.

Another example of us building up a player so we can just knock him down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mine is that he is the scape goat for the failings of the national team.

Another example of us building up a player so we can just knock him down.
That would imply everybody else getting off scot-free.

I guarantee the responses on this thread would be identical irrespective which of 10-15 different players were orginally named.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
My memories will be of a time when it didn't take much to become Englands most capped player and top scorer.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Potato Headed Scouse Granny Shagger with less Brain Power than the average Root Vegetable will probably be my memory of the Great Man....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here