Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motorists Respect the Law

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Realistically, what would need to happen so that motorists didn't use phones or break speed limit?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Phones - no idea. I cannot see why anybody thinks it is reasonable behaviour.

Speed limits - two things. Telemetry, which is coming whether we like it or not, and driverless cars, which is also coming.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The simple but unpopular answer would be more cameras or other electronic device. I can stand in South Rd Haywards Heath by the roundabout to Sussex Rd for 10 mins and will see at least 6 vehicles go past or round the roundabout with drivers on the phone, not hands free. In the majority of cases it is van drivers and lorries especially tipper lorries but that is generalising.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Could mobile phones be made to not work while the ignition is switched on so people/ firms would have to leave a message asking you to call them when you turn the ignition off.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Could mobile phones be made to not work while the ignition is switched on so people/ firms would have to leave a message asking you to call them when you turn the ignition off.

What would happen if a passenger wanted to make a call, or if the car was fitted with hands free kit.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Realistically, what would need to happen so that motorists didn't use phones or break speed limit?
Ah let me see, how about missiles to take out all communication satellites that should take care of that problem, then small charges set inside vehicle tyres with sensors along the side of the roads, the moment the vehicle speeds above the set limit for that particular carriageway "bosch" flat tyres no more problems except for the inconvenience of other road users having to negotiate around untold amounts of unusable vehicles stretching along the sides of the roads. Solutions a? creating even more problems, back to the drawing board.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Ah let me see, how about missiles to take out all communication satellites that should take care of that problem, then small charges set inside vehicle tyres with sensors along the side of the roads, the moment the vehicle speeds above the set limit for that particular carriageway "bosch" flat tyres no more problems except for the inconvenience of other road users having to negotiate around untold amounts of unusable vehicles stretching along the sides of the roads. Solutions a? creating even more problems, back to the drawing board.

Right, i'm back and i think i'm on to something here, telepathy and teleportation, we have the concept now we need the practicality shirley there is someone on this forum who can come up with the solution come on lads and lasses make it happen.......

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Sounds like an idea for Dragons' Den, BG. Have you patented it yet?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Automatic 6 month ban for using a mobile phone, doubling for a second offence. More speed cameras with more points put on a licence than now leading to serial offenders being banned sooner.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Something similar but user has to want to block all calls and texts DriveScribe

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
If you are caught using a mobile while driving, a two month on-the-spot ban. That is 'get out of the vehicle sir/madam, get someone to collect it, and you can shanks' pony off home'. Second offence six months ban, third offence a year etc. Sorted!

D

Deleted member 22389

Slap them with a two month driving ban from driving or £1000 fine. When you cycle you see it all the time. One hand on steering wheel, one hand to ear it's as bad as somebody who drinks and drives in my opinion. They don't have any control over the car whatsoever. :tosser:

If you want to use your phone pull over.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
What would happen if a passenger wanted to make a call, or if the car was fitted with hands free kit.

Stop the car or wait.

I know that both suggestions are absolutely outrageous in a culture where the majority of people seem to have developed a "must answer the phone when it rings regardless of circumstances" behaviour but it's a question of retraining unthoughtful or bad habits.

Hopefully it won't be too long before phones won't work in moving cars and all cars are automatically restricted to the speed limit.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
It's been mentioned many times on here about reporting to the police any driver using a mobile when driving.
Would the police act on this? How could it be proved? Would the reporter be summon to give evidence in court?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here